HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

open file security warning

by jj71787 / March 30, 2010 6:15 PM PDT

When i start my computer i get a open file security warning and when i click open it just keeps coming back
it or an svchost.exe
from c:\windows\system32\microsoft

i have windows xp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: open file security warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: open file security warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: security warning
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2010 6:23 PM PDT

Could you post a better description than this.

The part that is especially understandable is:
it or an svchost.exe
from c:\windows\system32\microsoft

Not clear also: what 'open' button there is on the warning window.

And what's surely missing: the full text of the warning.

And what's missing also: when exactly that message appears.

Kees

Collapse -
security warning
by jj71787 / April 2, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: security warning

when i start my computer a screen pops up that says open file-security warning

name: svchost.exe
publisher: unknown publisher
i have the option to either run or close

either one i click the screen just pops up again

Collapse -
This sounds like a variation of an old trojan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2010 1:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by jj71787 / April 2, 2010 2:15 PM PDT

thank you now that window is gone it found 2 trojans and 1 was inside the anti trojan elite i installed which was suppose to delete trojans

Collapse -
pc crash
by lolla70 / April 4, 2010 3:53 AM PDT

Hope this is the right place to go..last night I went to a site for Easter birthday cards...then all at once I get this box for me to get''Personal Security'' virus cause my computer was all infested...I know I should have just ignored it, but I sort of went along and ran the program. It is not valid as I didn't pay for it..but this ''thing'' has taken over my pc...I lost all the icons on my desk top..I can't get my mail..I can only get Internet Explorer, then I can go to my webmail to see the mail...but everything is just stopped ! I tried to take it off the control panel, but I can't even open the ''add & remove'' tab..what can I do, please ! Lorrie

Collapse -
Since you read this discussion I have to ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: pc crash

Did you try Grif's advice?

Collapse -
security warning
by jj71787 / April 4, 2010 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: pc crash

my dad got hit by this scanner that kept popping up saying he had trojan viruses which was obviously false and he couldnt open anything he tried sysem restore but when he opened it it told him that it was infected

i tried to run that grif scanner on his computer but the security virus was still there

he formatted his computer but when can i do for next time?

Collapse -
Many learn this the hard way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: security warning

Most of these rogue software titles are installed by the owner. Yes, these are clever and get people to click OK TO INSTALL and it can be game over unless someone has the helpful scanners and can repair the damage done.

I think that if the owner is going to keep falling for this then they may want to go get an Apple next time.
Bob

Collapse -
apple
by jj71787 / April 4, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

i was thinking of getting an apple not sure how many viruses are around for macs but windows is horrible

Collapse -
There is a discussion about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: apple

We often wonder why we would need an antivirus on the apple since first we need a virus.

This does not mean there is no BAD SOFTWARE. If we choose to install bad stuff that was our choice.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.