Computer Help forum

General discussion

Open errors

We are running on XP, have done lots of virus scanning to try and sort some things out and we have one outcome ie. we have 130 open errors! What does this mean and what can we do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please give more information

In reply to: Open errors

Oakey please state where you get these errors, and exactly what they say.

What do you use for virus scanning? Are the virus program's definitions uptodate?

Mark

Collapse -
E-trust VET 'open error'

In reply to: Please give more information

Hi Mark
thanks for the reply. We are using the E-trust antivirus program (vet #7) that came with our Aldi Medion PC. We have scanned with innoculate aswell in both the secure/reviewer and tried to cure move delet but the errors keep returning? I have had a look at the vet site and they recommend changing our administative password, purchasing their firewall and spyware. We are considerig changing to Norton as they appear to cover everything in the one package. But am unsure if that will fix our proplems. eg slow boot-up and around 5min of the PC churning away on who knows what in the background.

With so many open errors it is a little hard to include them but I have pasted them in a word document if you would like to see more let me know.

Regards OakeyKezza

Collapse -
Try an online scan

In reply to: E-trust VET 'open error'

Hi again Oakey, thanks for the information.

It seems the E-trust virus scanner was a trial period only, hoping you would purchase their full program, and so it's virus definitions may not be uptodate.

I have some suggestions for you to help clear any infections from your computer, and keep you clear in the future. Any ''single one'' of these will not completely clean your computer or protect you in the future, but as a suite of utilities, they should help enormously. And what's more, they are all free unless you decide to buy them. But they all work whatever you decide and you can update them continuously.

Rather than repeat here what I have suggested before, if you don't mind I have placed a link below to a previous post I did. The link is;

Previous post

But two amendments to that post.

1) Try the online scan first before considering the free firewall, and

2) if you decide to go for the free version of AVG 7 anti-viurus, goto this page instead;
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
and then click on the link at the bottom of the central area for ''Visit the AVG FREE Edition web page''.

The previous post I have given you was for a problem about spyware, but the information there is exactly what I would suggest to you.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!