Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Open emails don't close when Outlook XP closes

by hairymon / January 9, 2007 11:19 PM PST

All our computers in the office have Outlook XP. On all but one of them, when Outlook XP closes, any open emails close.

I have not been able to figure out what is different about this computer nor found a setting that would let all emails close when Outlook closes. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open emails don't close when Outlook XP closes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open emails don't close when Outlook XP closes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems to be a recurring bug. Sorry...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 2:36 AM PST

Microsoft seems to not have a solid cure for that one. I've seen this in Outlook 2000, 2003 and beat I'll see it in 2007.

You'll see outlook.exe that needs to be endtasked in the Task Manager.

Bob

Collapse -
I was afraid of that
by hairymon / January 10, 2007 2:42 AM PST

The old "Outlook doesn't really fully close and stays in your Task Manager" bug. I've seen that mess us up on other things (the most notorious being that Outlook spends 5-10 minutes "file error checking" the next time you go on.

I'll look into my notes on that, sometimes I know tinkering with Anti-Virus settings or eliminating certain programs can take of it. Thanks!

Collapse -
I forgot one item...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: I was afraid of that

ActiveSync may be a culprit. If you have that installed and can do without... Toss it out. Same story for PalmOne's Hotsync.

If you feel this is something Microsoft should fix, call them.

Bob

Collapse -
Nah no Active Sync or Hot Sync here
by hairymon / January 10, 2007 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: I forgot one item...

Have another person (who DOESN'T have this problem) who does HotSynch a Treo. He'd love to use Active Sync instead of IMAP for email on his Treo, but we've had too many problems trying to get that to work.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook doesn't close mails
by Kees Bakker / January 10, 2007 7:12 AM PST

Hairymon,

This was totally new to me. I know that, at home, Outlook Express always leaves open messages open when you stop the program, so it came as a big surprise Outlook XP (which I use at my work) doesn't. I really considered it fully normal that mails in separate windows should stay open.
Come to think of it, I always close all my windows at the end of the day (working from right to left on the taskbar). And as Outlook is the first program I start in the morning (very stable system, XP) it's the most left one. Amazing, such routine.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!