Speakeasy forum

General discussion

open doors for world's poor

by Edward ODaniel / December 31, 2006 11:05 PM PST

Laptop to open doors for world's poor
By Brian Bergstein
The Associated Press

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. ? Forget windows, folders and boxes that pop up with text. When students in Thailand, Libya and other developing countries get their $150 computers from the One Laptop Per Child project in 2007, their experience will be unlike anything on standard PCs.
To that end, folders are not the organizing metaphor on these machines, unlike most computers since Apple Computer launched the first Mac in 1984. The knock on folders is that they force users to remember where they stored their information rather than what they used it for.
India originally expressed interest but backed out. Even though Brazil plans to take part, it is hedging its bets by evaluating $400 "Classmate PCs" from Intel. The government likes the cost-saving of open-source software, but at least in initial tests, officials have said those Classmate PCs just might run Windows.

One has to wonder if the "new interface" will help or hinder in preparing a child for living in the real world. It seems to me to be quite similar to the "new ideas" for teaching math and "science" and one only has to look at the enormous number of recent high school graduates who can't even make change.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: open doors for world's poor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: open doors for world's poor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The link for those ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 31, 2006 11:07 PM PST
Collapse -
what took so long
by WOODS-HICK / December 31, 2006 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: The link for those ...

for the " hand-pulled mechanism for charging its battery" that is a great idea for anyone when electricity is not available.
"The computer also has features anyone would love, notably a built-in camera and a color display that converts to monochrome so it's easier to see in sunlight." sweet.

any user interface nicknamed "sugar" does revive the 'don't take candy from strangers' advisory but some are afraid of the unknown.

more here with spices, recommended for those who demand more: http://www.laptop.org/

and here: Low-Cost Laptop Could Transform Learning

Collapse -
Thanks for the link.
by Angeline Booher / December 31, 2006 11:37 PM PST

(BTW, I was interested, and spent some time moving my cursor around your post to see if there was a link . But I thank you for posting the link.)

As the machine is touted as being for the world's poor, the hand cranking aspect seems reasonable due to conditions under which the world's poor live.

I was surprised by the wireless network capability. And a web browser.

In a way, I see a comparison to the "See Jane, see Jane run" early readers. A start.

I see these as useful for undeveloped countries and areas. I doubt they would be in the US school systems, at least as a whole. To my knowledge, systems now have machines available to students.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Just seems like good manners to include the link
by Ziks511 / January 1, 2007 10:09 AM PST

just as it is both good manners and more honorable to indicate that quotations are quotations and not one's own work. It aids clarity and understanding, and helps those interested in your (that's the general you, not you in particular Ed) post. Additionally, you made the quotations pretty clear in the original post, IMO.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?