HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Open a Laptop case

by Shepbob / November 9, 2003 6:17 AM PST

I have an old Acer note 370c Laptop. The hard drive is bad and I want to put a used one in that I have. I cannot figure out to get the case open. I took the screws out in the bottom. Looked under the rubber feet and still can't find a way into the hard drive. Anyone with knowledge on this machine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open a Laptop case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open a Laptop case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A PDF on your model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Open a Laptop case
Collapse -
Re:A PDF on your model?
by Shepbob / November 9, 2003 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: A PDF on your model?

Thanks Bob I will give this a try in the morning. Should work.

Collapse -
Re:Open a Laptop case
by Shepbob / November 9, 2003 11:32 PM PST

From the instructions I was able to replace the hard drive with one that was from a working system. I used a boot disk to boot up. Tried to "F" disk and received the same message as before. "cannot locate a fixed disk on this system" Any thoughts to this?

Collapse -
(NT) Does the BIOS show a drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Open a Laptop case

Collapse -
Re:(NT) Does the BIOS show a drive?
by Shepbob / November 10, 2003 6:12 AM PST

No I can't get it to show in the bios. I tried both "auto" and "User" by keying in the data. Is it possible the ide controller is bad or something else?

Collapse -
More details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 6:24 AM PST

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

Make/model of old drive/new drive would be interesting. Some laptops would only take certain hard disks.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:More details.
by Shepbob / November 10, 2003 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: More details.

As stated in early posts it a Acernote Light model 370C
32 Meg ram. 56k Modem Internal cd drive. External Floppy. The origional HDD was a 1 gig Hitachi model DK223a-11 with win98se loaded and working fine. Out of the blue at boot up a message comes up and says" Insert system disk and restart computer. Boot disk would load but trying to fdisk it tells me "No fixed drive on this system"
Replaced the HDD with a 814 mg drive and get the same results.
Did notice in gathering this info that the origional Hitachi calls out 5V- 0.5 Amp where as the Toshiba calls out 5V- 0.7 Amp. Could this be the problem that the Toshiba is not being recognized?

Collapse -
You bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re:More details.
Collapse -
Re:Re:More details.
by Shepbob / November 10, 2003 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re:More details.

I guess I didn't make myself quite clear. The Hatachi drive was the origional drive that came with the computer. The
Toshiba drive was given to me to try after the bios would no longer recognize the Hatachi. The Bios also does not recognize the Toshiba. The main difference I saw between the two was the 5V-0.5 Amp on the Hatachi versus the 5V-07 amp on the Toshiba. Neither drive had jumper.

Collapse -
Could be. Do you have one of these "things?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:More details.

Sorry for the vendor link, but this is what I use to test laptop hard disks in desktops:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108

The jumpers on such drives are microsized items which I now use a magnifying glass and tweezers to work with. Finding manuals with good pictures on such an old drive is unlikely, but there were noted jumpers on that model.

I'd test either/both drives in a desktop to see if they work.

Bob

Collapse -
fan
by mavellona / July 21, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

i have laptop HP pavilion ze5500/ze5570us.
i want to change the fan,since it makes a lot of sounds.
how can i open the case?
what will be the model of the fan?

Collapse -
HP.COM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: fan

HP.COM has manuals and more. Even parts are sold there.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.