Dell forum

General discussion

oops, there's a Dell forum

Hi, I've just asked a question on a different forum but since here's a new Dell forum, just wanna see if there's any Dell people can help me out. I've just bought a Dell mini 10 netbook and the temperature according to Core Temp is about 90s C degree while watching video through Realplayer. Just wondering if I should consider it as overheat or if it is normal. If it is normal, what temperature should we consider the netbook as overheating? sorry about asking newbie question. Thanks!!

Louis

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: oops, there's a Dell forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: oops, there's a Dell forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yep,

In reply to: oops, there's a Dell forum

that's hot.

We'll need more information to be sure. What are the specification. We'll need a brand name and number. like this ......Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 or AMD Phenom 8750. This information can be found in "Device Manager" in Windows OSs. Sorry, I don't work with Linux of Mac OSs.

Collapse -
Thank you for replying back, this is the information I found

In reply to: yep,

Hi, thank you for replying me back. I am a newbie on computers, so what I have just found is the email of Dell with all the description on my netbook. Please let me know if it has the information needed. Thank you!!

Louis

Inspiron Mini 10,
Genuine Windows

Collapse -
that seems hot

In reply to: Thank you for replying back, this is the information I found

That is hot. I will try and chase down specs on max heat for that platform and post back what I find. I am assuming you are not blocking any intake or exhaust vents during use.

Collapse -
thank you

In reply to: that seems hot

Thank you for answering, and also, i found my netbook to be about 70 C degree when its on idle, is that also too hot? And while I am using my netbook, I just put it on a table, so I'm not sure if it would block the intake or exhaust vents. looking forward for the max heat. Thank you so much!!! Louis

Collapse -
Without look it up .............. yes

In reply to: thank you

Clean laptop internally.

One grungy computer leads to another. Happy

Again, I would need processor specifications (brand, name, number) to look it up. All processors differ in their specifications.

You might attempt to look it up yourself. Pick your processor from link below then see "Get Technical Documentation"> then, "Specifications" tab> then "processor spec finder"> choose your processor from list> find "Thermal design". This will specify a maximum allowable temperature range. Temperatures over this specification may do irreparable damage to your processor.

From here:

http://www.intel.com/consumer/learn/processors/index.htm?iid=gg_play+learn_processors

The most demanding "common" process a PC/Laptop can do is a virus scan. 3D gaming is also very demanding. 3D multi player online gaming can challenge the very best of PCs.

If your still having heat problems after the cleaning ....

B) replace thermal paste

C) Upgrade the CPU cooler on PC. This is not an option for Laptops. Liquid cooling systems are available but $$$$.

Additional laptop cooling:

Pads

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=laptop+cooling&x=12&y=30

Fans

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998465

Products shown are examples only. There display here is not an endorsement. This is one of many site that sell these products but that said, Newegg.com is very good. <<<<< yep, that was an endorsement. Grin

Collapse -
I'm back

In reply to: Thank you for replying back, this is the information I found

According to this:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=3008

Maximums range form 85C -90C

You have a problem this processor is too hot when running video.

Has it been (internally) cleaned lately?

Search "clean PC" here:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/?tag=hdr;snav

For laptops search "clean laptop"

I'd recommend you clean your PC approximately ever 3 months.

Warning opening a PC/Laptop while under warranty can void the warranty. Read your warranty to avoid this problem.

Back now to Mr Dell.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.