Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

oops...new to xp and my first mistake

just got a new comp with xp and tried to open a publisher file before re-installing publisher. All my publisher files are now adobe files and i cannot open any of them. How can i put this right.
i have a AMD duron processor 110 ghx, 358ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: oops...new to xp and my first mistake
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: oops...new to xp and my first mistake
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
first...

In reply to: oops...new to xp and my first mistake

install Publisher. It might fix the problem by itself when it declares ownership of all Publisher-type files as it registers its file associations during the installation routine.

If that fails, go to your documents folder, RIGHT click on any known Publisher file name and use the ''Open With'' item, not the usual ''Open'' item in the menu list. That will bring up another little box with a list of available programs. Find Publisher on the list, check the box below the list for ''Always Use This Program'' and then open the file. That should reset the association of that file type to Publisher.

dw

Collapse -
no joy

In reply to: first...

have installed publisher 98 and that did take back control, all the icons now have the publisher logo.
however they still will not open and the message:
publisher cannot open files from a different version. does this mean that xp has its own publisher?

Collapse -
versions...

In reply to: no joy

The software programs and their output files are often version specific. A Publisher document that was created and saved in PublisherXP* will probably not be readable by Publisher97. There will be new codes and structures in the file that Publisher97 has never heard of. When running in the other direction, a file created and saved by Publisher97 will be recognized by PublisherXP. The programmers always put in backwards compatibility. But what often happens is PublisherXP looks at the '97 document and says to itself "I know what that is, so let me just convert it from the obsolete Publisher97 format to the new PublisherXP format." And now you have a document that is no longer readable by Publisher97 - but only after PublisherXP actually saves the document back to the disk.

In your original message, you mentioned Adobe. Can you tell us more about how Adobe came to be involved in those files?

*I put the asterisk up there by the reference to PublisherXP to draw your attention to the confusing use of "XP" by Microsoft. WindowsXP, the operating system, is totally unrelated to OfficeXP, the productivity application. Though the advertising mavens in Redmond would love for you to think XP is everything and thus you will buy everything XP under the mistaken impression that you have to, all these XPs are unrelated. Your new WindowsXP (XP the operating system, that is) computer does not, by itself, change the version of any document files.

dw

Collapse -
adobe

In reply to: versions...

adobe pressed by mistake!
your explanation is sound. i was told that xp was the new wonder of the world and could repair its own mistakes!

Collapse -
but...

In reply to: adobe

You pressed Adobe by mistake. Ok, no biggie, things happen. Did Adobe ''read'' the file? Did you ask Adobe to save the file back to the disk? If so, that presents a problem. Adobe messed with it. If you did not ask Adobe to save the file after opening it, the previous file is unchanged.

This file association business is a separate function within the operating system. When a program is installed (such as Adobe), it tells the O/S that any file having a .pdf (and a few other specific) extension should be shown with a red flying ''A'' icon and opened by default by Adobe. When Word is installed, it tells the O/S that any file having a .doc (and a few other specific) extension should be shown with a blue ''W'' icon and opened by default by Word. When Excel is installed, it tells the O/S that any file having an .xls (and a few other specific) extension should be shown with a green ''X'' icon and by default opened with Excel. But the document files are unchanged. However, if the program continues to use the same filename extension through several versions, they all look the same to the operating system. Xls is still Excel. But if it happens to be a newer version file, the older version program can't deal with it. Also when there is improper usage of a filename extension (some other program created a file and used the same extension, or a filename was manually changed), the operating system will still try to use the default program to open it, but the program will fail. If it should occur that a Windows is presented with a file having an extension that no program yet installed on that machine has claimed as its own, Windows will stop and ask you what to do, giving you the list of available programs. If you choose one, it will likely assume your answer as a permanent choice, and construct a new association from then on.

Yup, WindowsXP is pretty smart and can repair most of its own mistakes, but it's not that smart. It usually can't repair ''mistakes'' inside files that other programs have caused.

dw

Collapse -
do you...

In reply to: but...

i was asked which association i wanted the file to be opened with. I pressed adobe by mistake and it changes every publisher file. I guess i ticked for all such files to be opened with adobe.
Reloading publisher changed the icons back and changed the file extension to .pub, but i still cannot open the files; have i lost them for good?

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: do you...

Even if the files now have the Publisher extension, they are still being associated with Adobe Acrobat. To change the association to Publisher, Use ''open with'' and choose Publisher to open the files. Remember to put a check at the box where it says "...always use the selected program ..."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!