HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Oops, Massachusetts Denies The Obama Promise

by James Denison / November 19, 2013 6:49 AM PST
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mass-consumers-cannot-keep-canceled-113910215.html

"BOSTON (AP) -- Massachusetts' top insurance official said Monday that the state won't allow consumers to keep health insurance policies that fall below the minimum requirements of the federal health care law.

State Insurance Commissioner Joseph Murphy said in a letter sent Monday to the Obama administration that substandard insurance policies are "virtually non-existent" in Massachusetts because of its first-in-the-nation health care law that took effect in 2007.

In a reversal of policy, Obama announced last week that millions of Americans would be allowed to renew individual coverage plans that otherwise would be cancelled under the federal law in 2014."
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oops, Massachusetts Denies The Obama Promise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oops, Massachusetts Denies The Obama Promise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and if the republican proposed law is enacted that requires
by Roger NC / November 19, 2013 6:54 AM PST

not only to continue to reinstate those policies but to continue to sell those policies, do the state insurance officials have any say so?

Getting some bipartisan support I believe, whether it has any chance in the senate is a different question, and then there's the veto.

Collapse -
It's just evidence from another quarter
by James Denison / November 19, 2013 9:17 AM PST

That inspite of Obama's lies, the two situations are incompatible and therefore unworkable with each other. Obama has made the classic mistake of destroying one system before discovering the backup system actually works.

Collapse -
but can congress force the insurance commissioners and
by Roger NC / November 19, 2013 9:26 AM PST

companies to comply.

Collapse -
They can just quit health insurance completely
by James Denison / November 19, 2013 11:48 AM PST

How can that be of benefit or advantage as millions more lose their current health insurance? I'm sort of surprised the companies haven't threatened such action before now. Convert into another type of business, or those which are conglomerates with other types of insurances such as home, auto, business, etc, join that field, or convert to investment houses or something else.

Collapse -
but that would give the government
by Roger NC / November 19, 2013 7:47 PM PST

the perfect reason to set up a federal owned and managed insurance wouldn't it?

Then there can't even be a debate about public vs private.

Medical devices, drugs, etc are a huge profit field that depend on insurance payments to make their money.

Unless there are even more changes that have been yet, medical insurance is still lucrative too. You've shown you know more about the stock market than I do (seriously), have you seen any sign that medical insurance isn't still expecting to make money? It made cost you and me, but the insurance books are probably safe.

Collapse -
And it's predicted, and I can believe it, that medical costs
by Steven Haninger / November 19, 2013 8:03 PM PST

will increase overall. For one reason, we're adding more layers of government or government employees to existing layers. As such a smaller fraction of what we pay for medical care will go for actual services that make us well. This is one way government creates jobs without increasing real productivity.

Collapse -
bureaucracy will be a problem
by Roger NC / November 19, 2013 8:21 PM PST

but not just governmental, but within the business itself.

But if when you read a few exposes about hospital adminstrators compensation, hospital billing, doctors that own a huge stake in the manufacturer of drugs, implants, etc that they prescribe.......you can't help but realize a lot of it is due to inherent greed of people.

Even if you discount the stories as agenda driven, probably are influenced at a minimum by personal views, there is still too much to dismiss.

Like it or not, sometimes unfairly applied, but the old adage where there's smoke there's fire came about for a reason.

Collapse -
what I've seen from market reports on medical insurance
by James Denison / November 19, 2013 8:54 PM PST

indicates they are still withholding decisions on a lot concerning Obamacare. I think it was United the other day that made a fairly big move on their health care, but most companies seem on the sidelines for now. I do believe you are correct in your assessment below, but then I've expected that's the real aim of Obamacare from the beginning.

"
but that would give the government the perfect reason to set up a federal owned and managed insurance wouldn't it? Then there can't even be a debate about public vs private.
"

The closest example I can think of to any future compromise between obamacare and private insurance would be the armed services medical coverage with Champus available for those who want to get medical care outside the armed forces medical hospitals and centers. The difference is the individual soldier is highly subsidized on that, which would be comparable to subsidies for lower income families under Obamacare.

Collapse -
Oops Again! California This Time. Million Plus Affected.
by James Denison / November 22, 2013 4:26 AM PST
California disagrees with Obama's request and will proceed to cancel over a million current insurance policies because of the ACA, in spite of what Obama said (lied) about it.

"In voting 5-0, Covered
California board members said allowing the older polices to continue
would undermine the new insurance marketplaces. Those policies are being
ended because they do meet the more extensive requirements for
essential benefits under the federal Affordable Care Act. "There's
no way to make the federal law work without this transition to
ACA-compliant plans," board member Susan Kennedy said. "Delaying the
transition isn't going to help anyone; it just delays the problems. I
actually think that it's going to make a bad situation worse if we
complicate it further." The state insurance commissioner has said that 1.1 million Californians are receiving notices that their
current individual health insurance policies will be discontinued in
2014, a deadline previously agreed to by the exchange and insurers"
Collapse -
It won't work against him
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2013 5:28 AM PST

Since it's the states and insurance companies that are balking at accepting the reprieve, they'll be made to take the fall. After all, it's not about the people affected so much as it is about who gets the blame.

Collapse -
(NT) now that everyone plays the blame game I can agree
by Roger NC / November 22, 2013 6:22 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.