HolidayBuyer's Guide

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

OOo (openoffice.org)

by JoshHendo / November 20, 2004 8:26 AM PST

Hello. I use Open Office.org to design my website. I also have some of my friends helping me with this. Because they have Microsoft Office, I don't want them to install OOo Just to use the HTML editor (I know they could use Word, but I want to all use the editor). Is there any HTML editor similar to OOo (that isn't anything else) that I can use instead?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OOo (openoffice.org)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OOo (openoffice.org)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mozilla?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: OOo (openoffice.org)
Collapse -
Re: OOo (openoffice.org)
by slim___shady / November 20, 2004 10:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Nvu
by timwerx / November 20, 2004 12:20 PM PST

Nvu is also open source freeware and based on Mozilla. I think it's easier to understand than the Open Office HTML editor.

Collapse -
Re: Nvu
by JoshHendo / November 20, 2004 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Nvu

Thank you. I am now using Nvu. This program is so much better than OOo for web editing. This program had made my website viewable within firefox as well as ie (before it wouldn't work properly in ff). Also, when i edit it, I don't have to to keep re-inserting the flash side bar (everytime i have edited it before the flash side bar will turn into an image, and i had to get everything working again, which takes along time if you just want to edit 1 page)

Collapse -
Re: OOo (openoffice.org)
by rmjboog / November 26, 2004 1:37 AM PST

Hi. I designed and wrote an extensive corporate web site (www.raacomposites.com) a couple of years ago, having almost no prior experience with HTML. I quickly found that there was no single editor available that would do everything I needed to do, and some had so many proprietary boondoggles that using them would have limited the audience that could actually view this web site. Since the audience was, and still is, world-wide in scope, this was an important consideration. What I found the easiest of all to use, and what I still choose to use for most of my HTML editing tasks is a combination of two editors. One is Netscape Communicator (now Mozilla...), which allows me to assemble a web page visually, allowing me to see exactly what it will look like in that browser. The other is a 'shareware' program called HTMLEd-32, which allows me to work directly with the HTML code of a page and then test it in IE, so I can see exactly how it will look in that browser. I've found this combination to be so easy and effective that anything else will have to have a damned good sales pitch to catch my attention. I now also use Mozilla and OpenOffice running under Linux, but FrontPage, PageMill, and all the others have nothing I either need or want for my HTML editing tasks. Just something for you to think about as you search for your own tools...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.