TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onyo TX-SR606 vs. Sony STR-DG920 vs. Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K

by D__C / June 22, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm looking for a new receiver and I really like theses three receivers, which one would you recommend. Pre-outs are not important to me because I don't have an external amp and don't plan on getting one. If there are any other good 7.1 receivers with lossless audio decoding, at least 3 HDMI, upscaling to 1080 feel free to suggest those.
I will be using this with a sony KDLxbr4 tv, ps3, HD cable box, N64.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onyo TX-SR606 vs. Sony STR-DG920 vs. Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onyo TX-SR606 vs. Sony STR-DG920 vs. Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by jostenmeat / June 22, 2008 9:10 AM PDT

first of all you don't need "lossless audio decoding" b/c the ps3 unpacks the formats for you. It cannot bitstream anyways, so the receiver doesn't need it. Just a clarification. B/c it'll be hard to find a modern receiver that does NOT come with them anyhoo.

Of all the components you list, by far the most important one is unlisted. Funny how that is. speakers. otherwise, don't know man. hf and gl.

Collapse -
Check these out
by Trapper31 / June 24, 2008 1:24 AM PDT

Just wanted to let you know that there is a really nice thread going on the Pioneer 1018 over at AVSForums. The receiver is just now being shipped to the early adopters, and some reviews from very knowledgeable users will be posted in the next couple of days. Link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1042314

Do a quick search at AVS for the Onkyo and Sony and you'll find great information on those as well.

One last thing: you may also want to consider the Yamaha RVX-663, it's specs are similar and, from what I've read, is getting better marks than the Onkyo (runs very hot) and the Sony (inferior sound quality).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!