General discussion

Only the 3G version of the iPad will include a built-in GPS

I have been holding off getting an iPad until the 3G version comes out because it will have GPS functionality the same as the iPhone 3GS and therefore it will be able to take advantage of all the Apps that use the GPS Location service.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
Here is the "Location" section
* Wi-Fi
* Digital compass
* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/high-technology.html
This is how Apple explains the Location service on the iPhone:
GPS (Global Positioning System) technology uses information from earth-orbiting satellites to find locations. A-GPS (Assisted GPS) on iPhone 3GS goes a step further, finding the closest satellites to more quickly identify your position. If you?re not within a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite, iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you?re not in range of a Wi-Fi hotspot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. The size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location. iPhone also offers a built-in digital compass that automatically repositions maps to match the direction you?re facing.

http://gps.about.com/b/2010/01/27/apples-new-499-ipad-gps-maps-navigation-features.htm
Check out this link for further information about the GPS built into the iPad w/3G version only
"So, turn-by-turn directions on a 10-inch super high-resolution color screen are about to become a reality."

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Only the 3G version of the iPad will include a built-in GPS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Only the 3G version of the iPad will include a built-in GPS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wifi will find your location...

With good accuracy sometimes.
Infact the GPS is rather useless without an Internet connection anyway, as the Maps app loads thr maps from google.

- Collapse -
There are several apps that

contain maps onboard. I'm actually more interested in the 3g model for the GPS than I am for the 3g.

- Collapse -
To subscribe or not to subscribe?

I concur. The next question in my mind is whether the A-GPS will work without the data plan from AT&T. I would love to get the location services without the $15/mo. It's not a phone after all.

- Collapse -
Only the 3G version of the iPad will include a built-in GPS

Yep

CNET Forums

Forum Info