Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Only Safe Mode start

by radean / April 23, 2004 8:14 AM PDT

My daughters computer running WIN98SE recently went belly up, after trying to install WMP 9, or thats what I've been told.
Only starts in Safe Mode, after a crypyic blue screen message.
Tried restoring registry, but did not help. It is a Compaq, so tried using their System Restore function, but doesn't want to work in Safe Mode.

My last plan was to install the AV suite, that Bob Proffitt recommended, and run some of those programs, because I noticed a folder in Program files which I'm pretty sure is Gator, but seems I have no access to CD ROM in Safe Mode.

Any suggestions about getting the CD ROM to work in Safe Mode? Maybe Config Sys, or Autoexec??

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, as I don't recall seeing spyware and/or hijackers cause such a radical problem. But she also brought me another computer, a Dell EM17E, which booted ok, but went crazy when trying to go online. It was loaded with Gator, and some other, but was able to fix that one with Spybot, and Hijackthis.

A note to anyone removing a hijacker..check your browsers homepage before going back online. I didn't do this, and her computer was immediatly reinfested with Gator, and more popups than I want to think about. Oughta be a law about that!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Only Safe Mode start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Only Safe Mode start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Only Safe Mode start
by Michael Geist / April 23, 2004 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Only Safe Mode start

System Restore disks are usually booted from at start up. Try putting the restore cd in the drive then restart the computer. Note that this type of rescue is destructive, so all data is lost.

Collapse -
Thanks Michael
by radean / April 23, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

My daughter is in another state, so she brought computers here on her last visit a week ago.
Forgot her Restore disks, so sent them to me last Monday, after she returned home. FedEx. Have not arrived as yet, and if they are lost, guess
she is SOL. Don't know what you can get from Compaq anymore since the merge.
Anyway, that is our last resort, if disks show up. Appreciate the reply Happy

Collapse -
Re:Only Safe Mode start
by Kees Bakker / April 24, 2004 6:25 AM PDT

CD-ROM in Safe Mode doesn't work indeed, I think, but that's not a serious problem. You burn the programs you want to run (the installation or setup files!) to a CD, then get a boot diskette (can be made from Config Panel>Add/Remove software, or downloaded from www.bootdisk.com) and boot from that (you might have to set the BIOS to boot from diskette) with CD-support. Then copy the install files from your CD to somewhere on c: (root folder would be easy and workable), reboot in safe mode and go ahead.

But I'm think you're on the wrong track.

The thing to do: boot into the boot menu (f8, or ctrl) and choose a selective startup. Then play a little bit loading things until you find out what loaded item causes the problem. If you've located that, post again.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
''MS-DOS Mode''
by Cursorcowboy / April 24, 2004 10:38 PM PDT

1. My daughters computer running WIN98SE recently went belly up, after trying to install WMP 9, or thats what I've been told.

Add/Remove Programs?

2. Any suggestions about getting the CD ROM to work in Safe Mode? Maybe Config Sys, or Autoexec?

"Cannot Access CD-ROM Drive from MS-DOS Mode or Command Prompt (Q135174)" and "Command-Line Switches for MSCDEX.EXE (Q871165):"

Autoexec.bat example of mine: @LH C:\98WIN\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1 /L:W /M:10

Config.sys example of mine: DEVICE=I:\CD\Aztech\sgidecd1.SYS /D:CD1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.