PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Only recognizing 2 of 3 memory slots...why?

My computer specs are viewable here::

http://www.et3.us/files/specs.htm

Here is my BIOS info, according to esupport.com, I have the latest BIOS:

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award

BIOS Date: August 31st 2004

BIOS ID: 08/31/2004-KT400-8235-SV400C-00-None

BIOS OEM: SV400 08/31/2004 - 6.00 PG

Chipset: VIA 82C3189 rev 0

SuperIO: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 at port 002E

Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

Motherboard: KT400-8235

My motherboard manufacturer, Syntax, is out of business.

I just installed 3 x 1GB PC2700 333MHz DDR Memory (1 sided) into the 3 slots on my main board. The motherboard manual says it supports, "DDR up to 200/266/333/400 MHz DDR SDRAM memory module. Accommodates three unbuffered 2.5V 184-pin slots. Each slot supports up to 1BG with a maximum capacity of 3GB.

I tested each memory stick independently using Memtest86+ V2.01 http://www.memtest.org/#downiso. Each stick passed 11 passes with flying colors.

I tried every combination of memory/slots on the main board and the maximum the BOIS picks up is 2GB. Which means it is not reading from 3 slots, only 2 at a time. It doesn?t matter which two. All slots work, just not all 3 together. I have two identical boards with the same BIOS version experiencing the same issue. How do I get the computer to recognize all three slots and all three memory sticks simultaneously?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Only recognizing 2 of 3 memory slots...why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Only recognizing 2 of 3 memory slots...why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends ...sometimes MBs will accept 3GB of PC2100 but

In reply to: Only recognizing 2 of 3 memory slots...why?

only 2GB of PC3200. Double check you system manual.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
DDR 333 = 3 DIMMs

In reply to: It depends ...sometimes MBs will accept 3GB of PC2100 but

I double checked manual. It says for DDR 333 it will support up to 3 DIMMs. DDR 400 can only support up to 2 DIMMs.

Collapse -
Known to happen

The memory controller as part of the system will "auto detect" the best operation of the ram. Even though your manual states it can support 3gb of ram, the real world shows otherwise. It does this in order to have the system up and running rather than fail if all conditions aren't meant for optimum performance. This also includes any RAS/CAS issues being timing, etc., that ram follows in order to lessen errors, etc.. What you can try is increase the ram voltage by .1 or .01 increments to help stabilize possible ram operation if that's the cause and/or timing selection that better matches or allows all to be present for use. You're tweeking the outcome but now you may know why that company is no longer in business. The KT-400 series of mtrbds. tend to have issues in this regard as I recall. More recent mtrbds. have gotten over this but it seems your older mtrbd. was part of this series. Further, all ram had to be from the same maker and be same class, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: Known to happen

All RAM is from same maker and same class.

I finally found the latency settings and DRAM clock speed settings. it was set at 133MHz. I changed it to 166MHz and read the 3GB, but them once Windows loaded it would auto restart. After playing with the BOIS too much I jamed up the computer and not it wouldn't even boot to the bios. I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in and that reset the BIOS to the default settings. Would you beleive everything works now?!?!? I have my full 3GB, but the only problem it is reading at 133MHz instead of 166MHz. Any solutions?

Collapse -
Actually that's a known issue on some boards.

In reply to: Update

As you fill all the slots you find you have to run the FSB or clocking speed lower for it to work. That's a bummer to some so it's back to the motherboard maker and supplier to have them fix it, replace or tell you the same story.
Bob

Collapse -
MB

In reply to: Actually that's a known issue on some boards.

Guess that's why Syntax is Out of business!

Collapse -
Good show

In reply to: Update

I'll bet if the ram wasn't from the same maker the trouble would persist unless of from quality vendor/maker. I've seen this happen enough some time back, it can be picky. As I stated, the "auto detect" will select what it feels is best for operation and that won't do for system users that want hi-perf. demands and push their systems thus a lower level the system requires to be stable. Glad its working for ya. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Memory

In reply to: Good show

All 3 sticks are Micron Tech, all having 16VDDT6464AG-335CA as their serial #?

Collapse -
memory

In reply to: Memory

I bought them at PartsPC.com 3 months ago for $25 each, new.

Collapse -
SV400 Matherboard

Please do you have bios for syntax SV400? I can not get anywhere. Would you please send miho is drivers for the board thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.