Only AVG didn't catch this?

by Melati Hitam / February 1, 2006 6:00 PM PST

W32.Rontokbro@mm ? Symantec
W32/Brontok-N ? Sophos
Win32/Brontokbro.A.A ? Eset
Win32/Robknot!Variant!Worm ? CA eTrust
Worm.Win32.Brontok.a ? Kaspersky

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Only AVG didn't catch this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Only AVG didn't catch this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Because of that, I'll drop AVG, atleast, temporarily
by Melati Hitam / February 1, 2006 6:02 PM PST
Collapse -
The others will miss a few too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 9:32 PM PST

After you bounce around the antivirus makers a few times, you'll learn that each one will miss a few. It's why you practice safe computing and get a second opinion web based scan like housecall.

-> You may not find it funny that I've seen others do as you are about to do.

Bob

Collapse -
And as a result
by Alan Copeland / February 1, 2006 11:33 PM PST

they will never know what they are missing. ;)I have AVG and the rest of my many stalwarts on auto pilot, and try to run Housecall monthly.

Collapse -
Yes, you guys are right, the problem is
by Melati Hitam / February 2, 2006 12:18 AM PST

That virus have infected many computer in my neighboorhood and also in several of my friends computers.

Since other virus have not have such effect in my area.. I decide to drop AVG.

Maybe AVG is good for other area/neighboorhood.

As we all know some of those virus, may only spread rapidly in certain area, city or country, while its only a low spread in some others.

Collapse -
What I find when such a pest gets in is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 12:32 AM PST

Computer usage that is not defensive. Opening those attachments, P2P use and more.

Even Norton fails if the user continues to expose the machine to such behaviour.

-> Usually it's a lesson about being defensive in the use of the computer. Sometimes the user takes the stance the antivirus or firewall is defective.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes RP, as always.. you are right again.. it
by Melati Hitam / February 2, 2006 3:03 AM PST

just that those viruses happened to be affecting many computer in my neighbourhood, MAYBE because the virus is created in my country (using our language in email body and the attachment file name), so it is not spreading as fast in other places.. while other virus that created in other country, didn't get in to my neighbourhood as fast as it is..

And that is why I said that some Anti Virus will do the job better in some places than the other... beside many online anti virus also need our location when scanning... (Maybe they want to know where it spread the most)

Thank you again..

Collapse -
I think Robert P. nailed it on this one
by Berfert / February 2, 2006 5:28 AM PST

It was the antivirus, AVG in this case, that failed you, but on the other hand it sounds like you opened a email with an attachment that was dangerous. If you learned to be extra cautious from this then no matter which antivirus you use will not fail you in the future.

Also a pre email viewer might have help as well like Mailwasher where you can preview your email in plan text and decide if you want it or not might also have helped. I know Mailwasher is thought of as an anti-spam program but it can be much more then that.

Collapse -
Berfert, that's what I'm saying in the first place
by Melati Hitam / February 2, 2006 1:37 PM PST

AVG failed on this one, while other pc that use other anti virus catch that particular virus... EVEN if the user open the file and the attachment (Stupid Users? maybe.. but as all those anti virus that missed some, there are also people making a wrong steps.)

Collapse -
Were All Those AVG's Updated Currently..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 2:02 AM PST

Although McAfee has detected this pariticular virus for quite a while, (about 3 months), because of new variants, there was an update to the virus definition file as recent as 3 days ago for this particular virus.

If the programs aren't kept current by the user, then they won't find the most recent variants.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes grif, it is with the latest update..
by Melati Hitam / February 2, 2006 2:53 AM PST

Even in their website (AVG) I didn't find any references to that particular virus.

Thanks anyway..

Collapse -
yes.. i understand u
by JoeTBG-X / February 5, 2006 5:27 PM PST

Melati, Brontok worm is really annoying. Especially for university student, and it's rapidly spreading in the campus.
The worm was created by Indonesian and become more popular in Malaysia too, and the new variants become more aggressive.
I'm currently using avast! antivirus (also free), and this AV doing a good job protectiong me from Brontok.
I know you are one of AVG fans that free and popular in our country, Malaysia. If you find a virus that AVG did not detect, please ZIP the virus and protect with a password, then send (attachment) the ZIP file contained the virus to virus@grisoft.cz
And dont forget to give them (AVG virus researcher) know what the password in your email body, usually the password is ''virus''.
Let's help to protect other AVG user by sending the undetected virus to the mail given.
Terima kasih.

Collapse -
IEFEADSL
by vicktor / February 5, 2006 7:12 PM PST

Does anyone know if IEFEADSL is a Trojan Horse> Notice the first two letters are for Internet Explore and the last four letters are for the ADSL modem connect. I don't know what FE is. Is the aove IEFEADSL a Trojan horse? I also saw it as IEFEADSL.COM

Collapse -
Vicktor, Possibly A Browser Hijacker Website..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: IEFEADSL

A Google search of those letters indicate there is a spyware/adware association to the "IEFEADSL.com" site. Access to the site may be made with various trojans but we need more information.

But you haven't told us anything about your computer or why you are asking the question?? Is you computer infected? Is that the name of a "file" on your computer or something else? PLease let us know the operating system on your computer, plus the type of antivirus and antispyware programs you are using.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, please download, install, update then run the following tool in SAFE MODE. The link to the Ewido suite below should help removing any spwyare or trojans.

b]Ewido Security Suite

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Use more than one anti virus
by hunbarb / February 5, 2006 11:37 PM PST

I've run AVG for years with no problem. Have XP now and use the included AV as well as AVG. Cracker

Collapse -
What included AV?
by rebelflag / February 5, 2006 11:53 PM PST

WinXP does not have an included anti-virus utility. Possibly you are talking about a utility that came pre-installed on your computer?

Collapse -
Multiple security programs essential.
by mjkilb / February 6, 2006 12:12 AM PST

My PC at work is protected by the Company firewall and security programs. Still, that doesn't stop me from using avast! and Ad-Aware SE Personal. Good thing I did, too. When a virus hit and shut down the Company, I was still able to work. It had to manually clean every computer, and mine checked out fine.

At home I have one antivirus, and two firewall programs running. In addition, I run a spyware program regularly. I do a ton of browsing, but get very little adware, and no viruses. I have had this current system running smooth since October 05.

You get what you pay for, so buy at least one program, and then you can supplement it with freeware.

Collapse -
AVG... Horrors!
by skyace / February 6, 2006 3:15 AM PST

Hi.. If you are using a free antivirus I recommend you use something other than AVG. Several months ago while I was using AVG, I had major incoming and outgoing mail problems. It wasn't a virus etc, infection but the program prevented me from sending/ receiving mail. After a lot of time and effort, the problem was never resolved! The issue/problem was covered in a CNET string such as this one. If you are using a free antivirus program, you may want to give Avast a try. I have never had problems. I have recommended it too many of my friends. Good luck. http://www.avast.com/eng/free_virus_protectio.html

Collapse -
Most likely was a setting...
by glenn30 / February 6, 2006 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: AVG... Horrors!

Either in AVG or a firewall. I have never had a problem using AVG Free and am quite satisfied.

Just my results!

Glenn

Collapse -
Very definetly it wasn't a setting.
by skyace / February 6, 2006 4:53 AM PST

There were many days, and many people involved with the AVG poblem I described. AVG appears not to created a similar problem with Windows XP. However with some OS's it'll give you more headaches than you can imagine. It would be wise to verify with Grisoft before installing.

Collapse -
It must have been "something."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 6:13 AM PST

Family and friends didn't have that issue. You could try AVAST?

Bob

Collapse -
Can I use two antivirus programs?
by tallin / February 6, 2006 3:54 AM PST

I am running FREE AVG, have been for years with no virus problems at all. I have Windows XP/SP2. I also run Counterspy, and Microsoft Giant Antispyware. My question is, do I need Avast which I have downloaded but not yet installed and can I run two Anti Virus programs on the one computer ie, AVG AND AVAST? Look forward to comments from you all

Collapse -
Not recommended, to run two AVs...
by Larry38 / February 6, 2006 5:00 AM PST

You can have two on your PC, but only run one realtime and shut down the other, use it for on demand.
Larry

Collapse -
Only one antivirus program!
by skyace / February 6, 2006 5:09 AM PST

Definately do not try and run more than one antivirus program at a time. If AVG works for you I would stay with it. I only changed because it gave me problems which had no obvious solution without the help of the developer. Personally I liked the AVG interface. I am not familiar with your anti-spy software but these days it's needed. For what it is worth here is what I run :: Avast, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search & They are all free. There are many more free protection type programs but I quite a bit of reseach on these.Good luck.

Collapse -
Reply to SKYACE
by tallin / February 6, 2006 6:16 AM PST

Thanks for your advice - for what it is worth Ad-aware did not work for me, but that was awhile ago, am surprised you have not heard of Sunbelt Counterspy and Microsoft Giant Antispyware.

Collapse -
tallin, Don't get AVs and Anti spyware confused..
by Larry38 / February 6, 2006 5:45 AM PST

anti spyware programs, you can run more than one togeather. I have Ewido Plus, MSAS, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard all running togeather.
AV programs only run one. Since you have Avast downloaded, Just keep it and don't install. You can run an online scan such as HouseCall, while your AV is running. I personally use Avast as my AV.
Also, the same applies with Firewalls. only use one. I have Kerio running, it auto shuts down the windows firewall.
HTH
Larry

Collapse -
In reply to Larry
by tallin / February 6, 2006 6:13 AM PST

Thanks allot, I will just keep AVAST on file in case, and stick with AVG, COUNTERSPY, AND MICROSOFT GIANT. Had no promlems at all running these.

Collapse -
Only one AV is needed...
by mo_net / February 6, 2006 7:39 AM PST

running realtime. Use any number of others to check your system at least weekly. I personally use McAfee in real time and weekly check with AVG Free and also use different online ones to triple check when a new threat variant surfaces. I use and prefer Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ for spyware & trojan detection, also it has great tools for controling IE from those sites that like to change your home page. It is the one for friends and family that cannot register edit to protect their systems.

I also use McAfee firewall and also have my hardware router (cisco system) firewall enabled at all times. This does slow down the internet browsing a little. Only notice it on really complex site pages.

Been doing this for many years now and as yet have not contacted any viruses or trojan or spyware. I am connected 24/7 and also have wireless for visitors to use with no detrimental system performance.

Bottom line...keep all AV and firewalls UP-TO-DATE.

Use what ever programs you feel comfortable with and work for your setup.

BTW..have you tried the new IE 7?? Works great for me so far...

Collapse -
In reply to Mo
by tallin / February 6, 2006 1:34 PM PST

Thanks for your help - No, I have not and will not change from IE6 as everything is fine on my system and I like IE6. I have never had a virus or any problem but saw that AVG missed, so was alerted to read this thread. - thanks for the prompt however, doesn't hurt to remind people.

Collapse -
Just installed AVG based on PCWorld's recommendation
by rpwoodjr / February 10, 2006 1:12 AM PST

Had used Norton suite for several years but got tired of the annual costs for multiple PCs in the household. Stumbled across an article in Dec. '05 PCWorld (page 117) that praised AVG. Downloaded it to my desktop last week and my laptop this morning. No problems so far - guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Collapse -
Left AVG
by erazer65 / February 6, 2006 2:33 PM PST

Have moved to Avast free A.V a while ago.
Much better !.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.