HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Online Video Shows Girl Attacked At Area School

by grimgraphix / October 9, 2007 2:54 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Video Shows Girl Attacked At Area School
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Video Shows Girl Attacked At Area School
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this uncommon nowadays in middle schools?
by James Denison / October 9, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

Was a fairly regular occurence when I was in those grades late 60's.

Collapse -
Mine, too, including elementary school.
by drpruner / October 12, 2007 3:40 AM PDT

No YouTube then, just a principal or Mom to kick YouA** when they found out.

Collapse -
As I remember my youthful experiences...
by grimgraphix / October 12, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

... whether I won or lost (of which I "enjoyed" both experiences a few times), dad was just as likely to whip my *** if he found out I was fighting. These girls seem to be Jr High age (14 yrs old)... by the time we reached high school age, just about everyone I knew had quit getting into fights.

Collapse -
"Cat fights" as they are called
by Steven Haninger / October 9, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

when two females battle, are their own action film genre and have their own voyeur type audience. Some just list this as more evidence of decay in our society. I can't fault that notion. Sad

Collapse -
I believe the motive for posting this video...
by grimgraphix / October 9, 2007 7:39 AM PDT

... was the intention to humiliate the loser of the fight, more than it was to satisfy some voyeuristic fetish.

---------

For my own part, after thinking about the general implications of publicly captured video like this... I think that those of us who are middle aged or older, underestimate the importance of virtual socialization sites to younger people. Gossip and poison pen commentary now occur online. In fact, it is more devastating to a young persons' reputation because of the fact that videos like this can be disseminated in hours... but hang around and be played over and over again for months and even years. Even if you get the original post removed, a copy may have been made and the reminder of a particular embarrassment can haunt a teen for years to come. I imagine all of us had at least one embarrassing moment in our youth that we would like to forget. In the digital age... moments like this can be seen by your kids later on. How would you feel if your child come home from school saying that "Suzie said her mom could kick my mom's ***... and had the video to prove it". Talk about embarrassing... and sending the wrong message to your kids.

Collapse -
I've seen a couple of these videos and what disturbs me most
by Steven Haninger / October 9, 2007 10:30 AM PDT

is the other kids...boys and girls...egging them on and acting as coaches instead of trying to stop the fight. The language is, of course, deplorable. So, to me, it's not the embarrassment to the individual participants that's an issue. They should be embarrassed...all of them. Proudly I'll wear the "fuddy duddy badge these days. Happy

Collapse -
Re: humiliate
by caktus / October 9, 2007 4:47 PM PDT

It may well come back to humiliate (or haunt) many times the ediots who perpetrated, photo'd and posted this crap. And when/if it does, they'll probably blame it on soneone else for screwing their lives up. Even with daily TV and radio ads warning folks of this, some just don't want to get it and to them all I can say it "tough stuff".

Collapse -
(NT) "Cyberbullying"
by drpruner / October 12, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.