Question

Online storage for videos?

Hi just a quick question, I've got thousands of movies and tv shows all backed up from DVD etc and i want to move them to the cloud so i can access them again at a later date and free up loads of space for more up to date content and because i hate to delete any media and really don't trust external hard drives.
What is the best service if any?
Upload won't be a problem either as I'm on fibre optic.
Thanks
James

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Online storage for videos?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Online storage for videos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: online storage for video's

Let's say one movie on a DVD is 5 GB. Then 3000 of movies is 15 terabyte.

http://www.dropbox.com/pricing shows 100 GB is 20 dollar a month. That's 3000 dollar a month for 15 terabyte. That's 36,000 dollar a year for 15 terabyte.

So either you'll have to find a storage provider that offers their services at, say, 1/100 of the price of Dropbox, or you'll have to buy, say, 3 sets of 8 2-terabyte external harddisks yourself, and store them on a safe place. At $200 for 2 TB disk, that's some 10.000 dollar for, say, 5 years life-time (on average, if not much used).

Who ever said having a hobby collecting useless things is cheap?

Your choice here.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Would burning to Blue-Ray be an option?

Pioneer Increases Disc Size to 500GB

Posted August 5, 2008 10:44 AM by Josh Dreuth

About a month ago, Pioneer announced that they had developed a 400GB Blu-ray Disc. Not satisfied that they had exhausted all avenues, they continued developed and found a way to add four additional layers, bringing the total disc capacity to 500GB. As with the 400GB version, the disc is compatible with current Blu-ray drives found in computers, players, and recorders.

Brendan Sheridan, Pioneer Multimedia Division Product Manager, commented, "While Blu-ray discs (BD), offering both 25GB and 50GB, are sufficient for users' current demands, we envision the need for a technology that can support far greater capacities as HD streaming in particular becomes commonplace and users build larger files of digital content. The multi-layered method is compatible with Blu-ray devices providing a long term future for the technology and is more easily produced when compared to competing technologies such as holographic storage."

Currently the disc only exists as an experiment, but Pioneer is working with the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) to make the method a standard of the format. It is expected - if approved - it will take between two and four years for the discs to hit the open market.

Oh, and I use http://filepost.com/premium/ ATM, but don't have that many files.

CNET Forums