Computer Help forum

General discussion

Online Shopping

by jayelg / December 16, 2003 9:11 PM PST

I think there was a shopping forum at the old boards, couldn't find one here, wasn't sure where to post.I did some holiday shopping online with great results.Many stores offering free shipping, I have always received the orders within a week.About a month ago(11-20), I ordered a decorative flag, paid with PayPal(cleared the bank the following day), never got the order.I e-mailed the company 4 or 5 times to their various contact addresses to check the status of the shipment, no response from them to any of them. The website is now down, "the account for domain"name of.com"has been suspended.I filed a complaint with PayPal, they are investigating and waiting for a response from the seller.Do you think I'll get my $20 back? It's not the amount, they took the order and accepted the payment, but never sent the purchase, so they actually stole it from me.Is this a common occurrence with online companies? In the future, I'll only order from retailers that I'm familiar with,I might have learned the hard way.Any suggestions as to how I might get my hard-earned money back?I'm going to try the provided phone numbers today,should I also make the request in writing? TIA for any feedback....Jo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Shopping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Shopping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and or no
by LarryD / December 16, 2003 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Online Shopping

If you paid with PayPal Credit Card option, you simply contact your credit card company and tell them you were the victim of online fraud. They will credit your account and it is up to the vendor to prove that you owe him money. This is the law in the US, no ifs ands or buts!
If you paid with PayPal Bank Funding option, you are not protected in the same manner. Now you will have to work it out with PayPal and I am not sure what their policy is. I imagine you will find out soon enough!

Collapse -
PayPal (owned by EBay) has an absurd policy
by LarryD / December 16, 2003 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and or no

They have an insurance policy that you can pay for on certain purchases, where you have a window of two weeks to submit your claim. I am not aware if they have a policy regarding non-EBay items. If this were a bank check that you wrote to buy an item, I don't know what recourse (from the bank) you would have after the check clears.
The nice thing about credit cards is the purchase protection in case of fraud, as described in my earlier reply. The protection is NOT afforded todebit card transactions, only credit card.

Collapse -
Re:Yes and or no
by jayelg / December 16, 2003 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and or no

Thank you Larry! I called my bank after reading your post.The purchase through PayPal was made with my checking account card, credit(MC), not debit.They are crediting my account and they will file a complaint/dispute with the vendorfor payment.If they are unable to collect the debt they will contact the credit card company.I wasn't sure if small transactions were protected, I thought it had to be over $50.At least the ball is rolling,will see what happens, thanks for the advice....Jo

Collapse -
No problem! {NT}
by LarryD / December 16, 2003 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Yes and or no

`

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.