HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Online Maps

by paul.gauci / August 5, 2009 2:34 AM PDT

Every now and then I need to use in reports and presentations, high quality satellite images or maps. As I am based in the island of Malta (in the Mediterranean), I cannot use Google Earth Pro because a good proportion of the island is hidden by clouds. Also I do not like the idea of paying an annual fee. I prefer to buy whatever I need when I need it.

Can anyone recommend sites through which I can purchase up-to-date high-resolution satellite images or maps of specific areas in Malta when I need them.

Thanks

Paul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Maps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Maps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Terraserver?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Online Maps
http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp looked to be pretty good. There is that age old problem of whether such is worth it to the audience. But do you remember just 10 years ago what such images cost?
Bob
Collapse -
Online Maps
by paul.gauci / August 5, 2009 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Terraserver?

I did not know of Terraserver.

I have just take a look at their site and it looks very interesting/useful as far as my requirements are concerned.

Thanks

Paul

Collapse -
Clouds?
by ChuckT / August 5, 2009 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Online Maps

I just checked the entire island set of Malta on Google Earth (the free version) and I saw no clouds at all. Actually the images are generally combined from multiple images of satellite photos and assembled to not have any clouds.

So, why does that not work for you?

Collapse -
Inline Maps
by paul.gauci / August 5, 2009 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Clouds?

I have just rechecked and the clouds are still there. Are you sure that you have checked the 'Malta' that I am referring to (an island in the centre of the Mediterranean)? There are number of towns in the USA which have that name (one is in Montana). The clouds that I refer to cover the area of which I need the images (around lat/long: N35.8812deg; E14.5188deg.

Collapse -
Yeah, I know where Malta is
by ChuckT / August 6, 2009 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Inline Maps
HappyGrinHappy When I was in the Navy I was there for a period of time, so, yeah, I know where Malta is.

Anyway, by going to Google maps at that particular Lon/Lat that you supplied, I saw the clouds that you mentioned. Sorry, I did not notice them in my cursory look of the islands. pretty strange that Google personnel have not cleared that up.

So, I then went to bing.com/maps, to the very same point on Malta, and there were no clouds. So you might try the free Bing maps (they are Microsoft's website).
Collapse -
Online Maps
by paul.gauci / August 6, 2009 5:17 PM PDT

Great - I hope that you enjoyed your stay here.

I tried looking at Google again and tried out the View>Historical Imagery command. The earlier version of the image (early 2009) does not have clouds in it; though different parts of the island appear to have been photographed in different seasons.

Unfortunately BING does not show the southeastern part of Malta and neither does Yahoo!

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.