Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Online harassment: Ever get Targeted? Is it worth..

..involving the law/ authorities or would it it end up being a long, drawn out hassle for those who complain?

Someone I know is having their ID impersonated by a troll on a forum. (same ID , same avatar etc)

Best course of action...if any?
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online harassment: Ever get Targeted? Is it worth..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online harassment: Ever get Targeted? Is it worth..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Although I wouldn't expect much in the way of results,...

In reply to: Online harassment: Ever get Targeted? Is it worth..

...I would at least report this to the moderators of the board in question. They could figure out who's who and act accordingly - if they're so inclined.

Collapse -
I'd consider such an impersonator as

exhibiting their own smallness and just blow it off as best one could. You play into the hands of the harasser when you show that they are having an effect on you.

Collapse -
agreed

In reply to: I'd consider such an impersonator as

Just that this troll is trying to confuse other users by posting nasty remarks & insults to others. Many know it's a troll, but they're impossible to just blow off & can be disruptive. (it's on Yahoo! Answers, btw)

Collapse -
I agree with Paul....

In reply to: agreed

The Moderators or whatever authorities run the site need to be informed.

Collapse -
same happened to me at yahoo

In reply to: agreed

an ident I use in their forums. I just would put in a post on each thread he appeared in with a "Impersonator is not me", over and over again. Also kept reporting the impersonation and getting all of them blocked. Eventually it got almost impossible to impersonate my identity again and the person quit. Another way to avoid it is to use an ident that is short as possible and not using characters or numbers easily confused with others such as number one or letter L. For instance it's harder to impersonate "abc" than "awepoimr8uaqwpjdrq;cepjriqp9ui0d9cu83468tv"

Collapse -
Not much to be done.

I'm a bit confused. Has the identity been stolen from one forum so as to be used on a different one ?

If that is the case, there is little to be done. The victim can inform the mods from both forums. You can inform forum members with a public statement about what has happened. Unfortunately this often gives this troublemakers the satisfaction of knowing they achieved their disruptive aims. You can retire the old identity and replace it with another.

Ironically enough... SE has experienced the same problem. There is not a whole lot that can be done other than report it, complain about it, or ignore it.

Good luck.

p.s. I would not be sure how the same identity could be used on the same forum if there is any sort of registration process. Is the troublemaker misspelling the old ID or what ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.