Computer Help forum

Question

Online Gaming programs wont connect

by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

For about a week and a half I have not been able to access Steam (online) or League of Legends. I don't use any other games or gaming applications that need to access the internet but I imagine that they would do the same. When I attempt to access steam I am shown a window of it trying to update. after a few seconds of the loading bar not moving I am given this message http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-801925-0-38580800-1351548142_thumb.png On League of Legends I was able to update for whatever reason but after I log in it attempts to connect to server then I receive this message http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-801925-0-62168300-1351548121_thumb.png I have checked each respective website of each program for solutions to the problem and I have checked other websites for solutions. My firewall is off, I have re installed both programs, I have restarted my computer, I have tried launching them with admin privileges, updated graphic drivers, copied all the files from another computer (where they worked) onto my current computer. I have tried many other things that I cannot remember and so far I have yeilded no positive results.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Gaming programs wont connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Gaming programs wont connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I didn't read you checked the date and time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Additional detail
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

I have my date and time matched with my internet and just in case the firewall was still giving me trouble I have created exceptions in it for both programs. I have tried everything on the link you provided still nothing is working. I don't really have much more detail I can provide. I start the programs, they attempt to connect to their servers and i receive the error messages that I posted. Even though league of legends cant connect to its servers after entering my logon credentials it can still update so it can receive information from the servers but wont allow me to log on

Collapse -
Again. Not much detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional detail

Such as it worked until Hurricane Sandy hit. Or my antivirus updated or more.

And again, I dropped a big hint about firewall issues. Since your router is a natural firewall, for testing why didn't you rip out the firewall?

I know it sounds terrible but to solve this without reloading the OS and more will take clues. Keep them coming.
Bob

Collapse -
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 8:06 AM PDT

Its been 1.5 to 2 weeks since they last worked. I am in a dorm room where we don't have a router. I am using the wireless internet. It worked 1.5 to 2 weeks ago but suddenly both stopped working. What do these programs have in common that allows them to connect to their servers is what I've been trying to think of and attempt different repairs as I go. Later today I will be trying the programs in virtual box to see if they work there. When I get results from that I will post them here

Collapse -
So you're in a dorm without control of that internet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Now head off to starbucks, panera bread and try there.
Bob

Collapse -
Rather not carry a 50lb case to starbucks
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 8:58 AM PDT

also I'm not much of a fan of panera bread

Collapse -
Virtual box is getting the same result
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 9:06 AM PDT

see title

Collapse -
Not much of a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

But expected. Now try a cell phone internet tethered connection.
Bob

Collapse -
im also clueless
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Not much of a clue.

both my roommates are able to connect to steam and league of legends through the internet. I have tried both wired and wireless connections. my NIC is updated. I'll try tethering soon and get back to you with the results

Collapse -
Please. Don't dole out clues like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: im also clueless
Collapse -
Sorry for that they just now came to mind
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 9:43 AM PDT

running the scans right now, I'll report the results after the scans have completed

Collapse -
results
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 11:02 AM PDT

ran rkill program

malwarebytes resulted with 6 detections

superantispyware resulted with
[19 critical threats
3 potentially unwanted programs
566 tracking objects]

---
I have logs available for each if you want them

i have not yet removed anything yet

Collapse -
Given I can't see the results.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: results

Use google to see if any are known hijackers.

If there are no more clues I'm going with your account has been banned.
Bob

Collapse -
this is for multiple programs
by nashartwell / October 31, 2012 11:32 AM PDT

both Steam and League of Legends (multiple accounts tried) wont work, they stopped working at the same time so it cant be from a banned account. what are the chances it is from a bad piece of hardware like a bad ram sector or something

Collapse -
Answer
Until there are more clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 2:36 PM PDT

I'm having to go with a pest, corrupt OS or other. Hope something pops up. I always hope someone makes a better guess.
Bob

Collapse -
cant be the OS
by nashartwell / November 1, 2012 1:25 AM PDT

it did the same thing in virtual box

Collapse -
Sadly we have to write about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: cant be the OS

The virtual box uses the host's networking and if there is any error on the host, the virtual machine fails too.

Sorry but I'd rather not debate such things and ask you keep writing as a clue may show up.

For example, I can't find the name of the firewall, if it was removed, etc. It would be a shame to learn it's the one I caught redhanded still blocking when it was clearly disabled in its control panel.

Also, some run Torrents and Peer Guards and more so that is a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
No clues left
by nashartwell / November 1, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

im going to run memtest86 on my computer this weekend as a last guess

Collapse -
I never found that to be a cause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No clues left

I have seen the date/time issue, blocked ports in firewalls but you have set that, uninstalled the firewall so I'm left to guess it's another issue such as a torrent user, DNS hijacker or other. Those scans by Grif if we could see what was found might offer a clue but here's what many forget so I'll write it again.

Finding and removing those virus, trojans and such is good but it never assures us the damage is undone.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?