Computer Help forum

General discussion

online gaming and firewall...

by dzdon / March 5, 2007 9:06 AM PST

If I set my Zone Alarm firewall on game mode-during online gaming-and choose 'allow all' for connections...does that increase the chances for unwanted traffic to my computer with out my knowing??
(The firewall I had previously was totally turned off in order to game...maybe that's what lead to my problems???)

or if I set it at 'deny all', I'm assuming it may interfere with the game....
or is there a way to allow for the game server(?) for be added to the firewall allow list...

Guess I'm looking for any reassurance-or a dope slap reply- that my settings are ok and won't undo the protection I've set up on my computer while someone else games online.

Sorry if that is a vague plea for responses...thought I'd throw it out there since every other time I post someone gives insightful feedback.
dz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: online gaming and firewall...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: online gaming and firewall...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, It Decreases You Overall Security..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 9:28 AM PST

If you trust the game site, then it's not a major concern.. If you don't trust the site, then I wouldn't select the "Always Allow" option.. If I remember correctly, you can check the ZA logs after using "Game Mode" and it should tell you which applications were allowed during the period of gaming.. It might ease your mind a bit.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks-guess I'll check the log and see what shows up!
by dzdon / March 5, 2007 10:41 AM PST

If it is a trusted site then the communication would be just between the site and my computer...or would a third party (or others) be able to also get in? would that be what may show up in the ZA log?

hmm...guess there's always something more to learn...

I appreciate your help!
dz

Collapse -
Remember, ZA Allows/Disallows By Application..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 1:22 PM PST

All other ports are closed/stealthed.. So, as long as you stay in the game and the port used by the game, only those items and others you've already allowed will be gaining access..

Anything is possible but if you're sticking to a trusted site, you should be fine.... but you might want to read the ZA forum information at the link below:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllAboutPorts&message.id=7944

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
So...if the game is opened directly to its server
by dzdon / March 5, 2007 11:59 PM PST

through the icon on the desktop, am I correct to assume that it would be rather safe since it's not opened through a browser...??
The computer is using the game's port??

Or doesn't that really matter how the connection is made??

I believe ZA is set to allow communication from the game application as it showed up in the log and is check marked for allow.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about having it off....
dz

Collapse -
Believe You'll Still Need Your Browser...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 1:57 AM PST

I don't think you're using a VPN type of connection to the game's server but maybe that's the case.. Have you mentioned which game your connecting to? The link on your desktop is probably an internet shortcut which takes you directly to the game's site where you then hook up to their server. When you open it, does it say: Internet Explorer at the top of the screen?

The primary purpose of "Game Mode" is to prevent all the firewall alerts from popping up during game play not necessarily to make you more secure.. It's becomes your decision on how to proceed with that knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Okay....the game is City of Heroes
by dzdon / March 6, 2007 2:55 AM PST

and when the desktop icon is opened, it has a loading message-you can see it 'thinking' and loading, then the sign in/login page is opened.
In order to pull up the page and settings, the firewall is put into game mode after it's loaded otherwise the firewall interrupts the loading...

As for the internet icon, I don't recall seeing anything on the gaming page...just the full screen. I don't know if it would make a difference if the orginal download was through IE, then we switched to Firefox-would we have to download using that?? I definitely notice less problems with Firefox when browsing, but didn't know if that would effect the online gaming.

Thanks for you replies and help, Grif.

Guess if the computer gets any unwanted crap from having the firewall down/off then I can blame my husband and his game...maybe he'll curb his gaming time if we have repeat infections! He didn't enjoy the whole process of 'cleaning up' after our last virus issues.
dz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.