Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Online Console Gaming/Loss of Connection

by Kellard / January 23, 2008 1:47 AM PST

As far as I know, my problem is fairly unique, but maybe I don't know very far. I'm not sure just where the problem lies, so I'll list everything..

I have an XBox360, with which I use the XBox360 brand wireless adapter to connect to my wireless network. I enjoy playing games like Gears of War and Halo 3 online, but sometimes I lose connection, and not just to XBox Live; the internet goes down all throughout the house, even the computer that's connected to the router via ethernet cable. The cable television stays on, so I'm almost sure it's something to do with the router, but the router I have is the one Charter(my cable company) gave us, and I know people who don't have the problem.

The thing is, it lets me download games/videos on the XBox Live Marketplace and it lets me play full 8-player games on Gears of War, but I can't host games with more than 6 people or else the internet goes out. On Halo 3 I can play games with 6 people and it *generally* lets me connect. I've even successfully played up to 10 players on Halo 3, but sometimes the internet shuts off at 6 players, and it always shuts off when I breach that 10-player limit. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is the same way. More than 8 people and the internet goes.

I don't understand what's going on. I've had the XBox connected to the router with the ethernet cable and the same thing happens when I try to host games on Gears of War and Lost Planet.

Playing MMOs on the PC doesn't result in the same failure, so again I have no idea what's happening. Charter's customer support is useless and the people at XBox won't help because it's not a problem with Live. People keep getting angry at me for getting them kicked offline. Anyone have any clues?

Here's some stuff that I maybe should put in:
1 Computer connected to straight to the router
3 Computers connected via Netgear WG111v2 wireless adapters
XBox connected via Xbox360 wireless adapter
NETGEAR 802.11g Wireless Router | Model: WGR614

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Console Gaming/Loss of Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Console Gaming/Loss of Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bingo. That 614.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 1:53 AM PST

Try some router that runs OpenWRT since it will remove the limitations the 614 has. I decline to duplicate web pages about the 614 and such.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, my mistake.
by Kellard / January 23, 2008 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Bingo. That 614.

My brother-in-law was on the main computer when I wrote my innitial post, so I couldn't check the router to be sure and ended up finding one that looked like it; apparently all Netgear routers look identical.

Anywho, it's actually a NETGEAR CG814WG v2.

I don't know if that'll change your advise or not, but I made an error and I have to be sure before I run out and get a replacement. xD

Collapse -
Even Netgear distances themselves on that model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, my mistake.
Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by Kellard / January 27, 2008 9:37 AM PST

Got a Linksys WRT54GS now and Halo 3 at least is letting me play 16 player matches. One problem; the Netgear router was acting as our cable modem, so in order to hook the Linksys router up, it has to be routed through the Netgear router. The signal strength and speed increases with the new network I set up, but the Netgear router still shuts off, it just has a slightly higher threshold.
Do you have any suggestions for an easily obtained Linksys router with a "cable gateway" or a cheap external modem so I can finally throw out that Netgear pos?

Chris

Collapse -
Here's what I am using
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Bob
Collapse -
Hmmm..
by Kellard / February 2, 2008 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Here's what I am using

My mother-in-law bought a Linksys cm100.. It seems to be doing well.

Everything was fine for 5 days or so with the Linksys items. Now, however, despite 4-5 signal bars (Very Good to Excellent), the computers connected wirelessly have dropped in speed. The one closest to the router dropped from 2600kb/s to 160kb/s. The one connected via ethernet cable is fine, though. It takes frever for the adapters to connect to the network and to find the network address. You'd think with a great signal it'd be working faster... Xbox Live works flawlessly now, though. Besides a little lag, from what I guess is the same reason as the computers.

Seems like everytime something positive happens, something else up. -_-

Collapse -
I have the fix
by xBlackPearlx / June 29, 2008 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm..
Collapse -
Coolness.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: I have the fix

I've opened our forum sticky if you want to add a note about this model and the superuser login. Sorry, add the text and then the link as the link might die.

Very cool find. Thank you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?