Computer Help forum

General discussion

Online Backup - How much should I pay?

by teslook4ITJob / July 21, 2006 12:48 PM PDT

As a part of my disaster recovery plan, I am doing research on online back up and storage of my information. I am in the process of converting my paper documents into electronic ones giving my scanner a workout. I have two questions. What are the good online storage places that I could use? What are the good price ranges? I have a lot of important information that I can't afford to loose, so I am converting them to adobe, then storing them off site from my home in case of fire. I do not want to pay a lot for the services, maybe the $30-$75 range. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Backup - How much should I pay?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Backup - How much should I pay?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not tell us...
by Edward ODaniel / July 22, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

approximately how much data you want to store online?

1 meg? 1 gig? 15 gig? A terabyte?

Any decent recommendation will require some estimate as to how much storage you are looking for and then how much you may intend to upload or download at any one time as bandwidth figures into the equation too.

Do you want to be able to access ALL of the data at any one point in time or would restrictions on such be inconvenient?

It is difficult working in the dark - provide some illumination.

Collapse -
Here's the detail
by teslook4ITJob / July 23, 2006 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Why not tell us...

I have over 50 GB of information that I have to back up as a part of my DRP. I am doing research for off-site back up programs. Most of the programs are adobe acrobat files, music, and office files.

Collapse -
Here's the detail update of previous post
by teslook4ITJob / July 23, 2006 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's the detail

I would like to access the data when I travel. I do quite a bit of traveling as a part of my job. I have wireless high speed internet so this site would allow me to access my information using my username and password. In case of my computer crashing, I can download my photos, adobe, and office documents from the server. I hope this information will suffice.

Collapse -
Then in my opinion...
by Edward ODaniel / July 24, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

based on what you have stated (wanting ability to access files while on the road) you are not actually looking for a backup solution but for a solution that allows you to maintain additional copies of files where they will be accessible and secure.

For that I would simply recommend that you register yourself a domain and get some hosting service that provides adequate server space for your purposes as well as adequate bandwidth to upload and access the files.

One I can suggest is 1 & 1
http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/HostingOverview;jsessionid=EC5579C84C679BD5CE80BE47E3E11329.TC61b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

You can get up to 50 gig hosted there for $4.99 a month or 100 gig (a better option) for $9.99 a month and both options includes registering a domain (actually the $4.99 option provides you with two domains and the $9.99 includes 3 domain registrations)

Once you have the domain and it is hosted all you have to do is make use of FTP to put all your files on their servers and again use FTP to access the files (or access can be through your browser). 1 & 1 even gives you WISE-FTP 3 (along with some other potentially handy software) although the good old scriptable command line FTP would do everything from a simple batch file.

Your uploaded data is secure because they do a daily backup of your domain.

Regular online backup services differ only in that they will give you some backup software (and I say that guardedly as it is a pretty expensive "gift") that compresses the files before transferring them (something you could use WinZip for). They want considerably more for storing smaller amounts for that convenience. Here are a couple of the "better" ones:
http://www.intronis.com/pricing.html
http://evmarketing.evault.com/Google2/ (have to email for pricing)
http://www.backup.com/learnmore_price.html
http://www.livevault.com/
http://www.usdatatrust.com/service/pricing.asp

Collapse -
or...
by pfbfire / July 24, 2006 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Then in my opinion...

simply get an external HDD he smaller the better in your situation actually even an ipod would work 60GB. Ipods are for more than music!

Collapse -
IPod magic
by teslook4ITJob / July 24, 2006 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: or...

I was thinking about getting an IPod. I just can't afford one right now.

Collapse -
The external hard drive solution DOES NOT...
by Edward ODaniel / July 25, 2006 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: or...

present a backup solution because hard drives die every day and USB attached hard drives have an interesting habit of suddenly becoming inaccessible from one computer to another. The external hard drive is simply another solution for transporting files, and arguably the DVD is better for that as it doesn't just up and lose its partition table for no apparent reason.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.