TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onkyo Receivers --- SR605 or SR705

by D-Rowland / March 12, 2008 11:19 AM PDT

I've narrowed the field to these two receivers (plus maybe a couple of others as a distant 3rd/4th). I think either receiver will last as long as I want. I want HDMI processing, not simply passing through the signal (I think both process). Any recommendations? Frankly, I can't see the huge difference between these two models....besides $200.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onkyo Receivers --- SR605 or SR705
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onkyo Receivers --- SR605 or SR705
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jostenmeat / March 12, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

in order of importance, IMO

- pre-outs to add another amp if desired.
- Multi EQ Xt vs 2-EQ. Help solve acoustics for 8 positions, rather than 2.
- just a tad more power
- THX Select2 vs no THX at all.

Now, if you can swing the 805... I just recently got a refurbed for about $600. Now we are talking nearly DOUBLE (60 amps vs 36 amps) the current. Ultra 2. BurrBrown DACs. Zone3 (who cares). something else?

Collapse -
Another difference, important to me
by jostenmeat / March 13, 2008 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: differences

Id list it either #1 or #2, and I totally forgot!

- matrixing of PCM from 5.1 sources into 7.1 output. The 605 cannot. You might have a 7.1 system, but with a 5.1 HD format, that's all you'll get.

Collapse -
my opinion
by bevillan / March 13, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

If I could throw my 2 cents in, I'd either fork over a couple extra hundred bucks for the Onkyo TX-SR805 or wait till this fall/winter for the 805 to drop in price.

The 805 really is a sub $1000 receiver dream come true.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / March 13, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: my opinion

Collapse -
by bevillan / March 14, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

But if you want a AVR that will last you quite a while with all the newer technology coming to light, that is your ticket. 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, HD sound decoding, plenty of power. With everything going to HDMI, I'd want all the inputs I could get.

Collapse -
the 805
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: perhaps

gets very very warm. If you can't have adequate ventilation, I recommend against it.

I learned something interesting about Onkyo receivers!

to monitor temperature:

Turn on the unit. Press the display button and while holding it down, press the power button once. Release the display button and then hit the tone button once. It will bring up the temp on the display and you can monitor it and see how high it goes.

courtesy of "johnbe" from AVS

Collapse -
good tip
by bevillan / March 14, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: the 805

I'm going to try that on my 803 at home sometime to see if that works on other models too.

I don't have my manual infront of me, but in your 805 manual does it tell you the max operating temperature allowed before it shuts itself off?

Collapse -
didn't notice it
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: good tip

and to be honest, I didnt really read much of it. Could be losing out on something... maybe Ill skim it again sometime soon. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?