TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onkyo HT-SR800 HDMI pass through

by djod41 / December 16, 2007 9:12 AM PST

Could someone please explain what is meant by the pass through on this system? I am planning on purchasing this system soon, based on the reviews, but am unsure of how many cables to order along with this system. Currently, I have Dish network, with the HD DVR, a DVD player with HDMI hookup, and my sons Xbox 360 with component cables hooked up to a Sony SXRD set.
I looked at the Onkyo reciever at the store and saw that it had 2 HDMI inputs with one output.
What is meant by the pass through?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onkyo HT-SR800 HDMI pass through
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onkyo HT-SR800 HDMI pass through
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Happened?
by smashers / January 2, 2008 5:28 AM PST

I am a total newbie, but am also looking at purchasing the same Onkyo 800 set, and have the same question about the HDMI pass thru. I am guessing I will need 2 cables minimum, DVD-Amp and Amp-TV. I am also guessing there is no audio over the HDMI ouput b/c all audio is expected to go to the speakers, right?

My other guess is that by saying "pass-thru" they mean there is no upscaling or upconversion to 720, 1080i, or 1080p. That would have to be done by your DVD player, xbox, or TV set.

Maybe someone else out there can xplain (I could be totally wrong)

So, did you get it? What did you find?

Collapse -
Onkyo surround sound system
by djod41 / January 2, 2008 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: What Happened?

From what I have found, and I may have some of the terminology wrong, is that the purpose of the HDMI pass through on the Onkyo reciever is to let you switch from one device to the other without having to change inputs on your T.V.
Since I have 3 HDMI devices, I have to use Component video cables for one of them which defeats this purpose since I still have to switch inputs for the device with the component cables.
I could have saved a little money by running all the video cables to the back of the T.V., ( and switching inputs for each device ) and just run the audio cables to the reciever.
My next quest is to figure how to have evrything run off of one universal controller, so that I don't have to switch inputs on the T.V. with one controller while changing channels and volume on the reciever with the other.
I bought this system for Christmas and so far have been thrilled with the sound and quality. Circuit City had them in their store for $499, but by buying it at their web site and picking it up at the store I got it for $415.

Not bad

Dennis

Collapse -
Onkyo 800s
by smashers / January 3, 2008 3:47 AM PST

Thanks Dennis. Ok, HDMI direct to TV and audio thru receiver, got it. I've been looking at making the same CC web purchase & pickup, sounds like the best deal. Guess it will depend on TV too, but let me know what you find out with the remote. I'm looking at mounting speakers, going thru monoprice.com for HDMI, extra wire, and mounts - any mount suggestions? (I know some can be too weak)

S

Also, thx for the info JC

Collapse -
Passthrough
by jcrobso / January 2, 2008 5:44 AM PST

Means passive switching. IT will just switch between the two.
It will Not capture the audio part of the HDMI stream.
You will have to run digital audio cables to get the audio into the Av receiver. John

Collapse -
For HDMI Audio...
by TuxBobble / January 2, 2008 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: Passthrough

What would be a recommendation for HDMI audio + video?

I'd like to use my PS3's HDMI out for video AND audio, so that I have high quality visuals (720p is the max on my TV, but at some point down the line I may wind up on a 1080p TV) without sacrificing all my audio options. I don't really know much about the linear PCM options, but I would rather keep them as options than lose them.

Kind of seems pointless to have an HDMI-capable receiver when I already have 2 HDMI ports on my TV, and definitely do not have more than 2 HDMI devices to hook up.

Collapse -
as
by jostenmeat / January 3, 2008 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: For HDMI Audio...
always, its about your personal needs and BUDGET. The longer you wait, the greater the options will be. I recently called Outlaw, and they expect summer at the earliest for their HDMI enabled versions, for example.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.