TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onkyo 605 connections

by cardfan1_5_ / December 19, 2007 1:48 AM PST

I'm having a problem making my system function correctly. When I connect the cable box and the DVD/VHS unit directly to the TV thru the HDMI connections everything is good. When I try to route same thru the receiver I get nothing. What am I missing? Any suggestions to walk me thru this?I suspect I'm missing something when assigning the input/outputs.Thanks for any suggestions!
Magnovox DCH3200 [Comcast cable]
Onkyo TX605B
Panny DMR-EZ47V
Panny TH50PX77U

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onkyo 605 connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onkyo 605 connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comcast
by bevillan / December 19, 2007 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Onkyo 605 connections

The problem most likely lies with your Comcast Digital Cable box. I have a Comcast Motorola HD-DVR and Motorola made it so that you can't run their cable boxes through a receiver because of copyright protection problems. Basically when you run your cable box through the HDMI switcher in your receiver the cable box detects your receiver as a possible recording device.

The only way to work around this is to run your cable box directly to your TV via HDMI and run a digital optical cable from the cable box to your receiver for audio.

Collapse -
onkyo 605 connection
by ecat124 / December 19, 2007 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Onkyo 605 connections

I'm not sure if you're using HDMI to connect your cable and DVD. If so, you might find the information below useful.

If using HDMI, you need to change the HDMI Monitor setting to "Yes" on your 605. If I recall correctly, you press the "Set-Up" button on your receiver, then scroll down to HDMI Monitor, then press "Enter." You then select "Yes" using your arrow keys.

Depending on where you connect the HDMI cable on your TV (i.e. HDMI input 1,2,3, etc.), you will then need to select on your TV the input source (i.e. HDMI input 1,2,3,etc.)

Collapse -
Onkyo 805
by Esw88 / December 21, 2007 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: onkyo 605 connection

My son has the 805 and Comcast cable. He runs an HDMI cable form his cable box thru the 805 to the TV and he has no problem. He does the same with an upconverting DVD player. I am not sure whether the 605 and the 805 are different in that regard.

Collapse -
Settings
by dinox64 / December 22, 2007 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Onkyo 805

My Panasonic needed to be switched to the type of feed. Denon lets you either choose an input or auto detect. At work they've been talking about how some of the receivers conflict with other components. Could be what Bearvp is mentioning.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?