Mac Applications forum

General discussion

One week no mail - Apple acknowledges problem

Apple finally acknowledges the issue to the "One Percent Club," http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1953

I barely stumbled on the small link at the bottom of my account page. Unfortunately, Apple's Status History site indicates the opposite, indicating that the those in the One Percent Club have been restored. This is unnccessarily misleading and confusing. See report:
http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/system_status_history.html

This is my SEVENTH day without mail, I lost it sometime last Thursday. iMagine my surprise when I entered a court proceeding on Monday and learned that my attorney had not received any of the documents that I had sent him. I was i-Screwed!

But now that I now know that THEY know, I can end my useless attempts to reach a Chat person. Other than MobileMe's daytime chat hours, there is no other contact option for support, other than Apple's User Forums. They turned of support contact via email days ago, and AppleCare won't even talk about MobileMe! However, now that Apple has made this brief acknowledgment, maybe this will free up some of the Chat folks to work with others on issues that they might even = be able to assist with.

The good news is that Apple DOES review the User Forums. How do I know, you ask? - they Disabled my Account ID, "For security reasons," they said. My thinking is that they had heard all that they needed, or perhaps they felt that YOU had heard all that you needed? I have not heard from Apple as to what they feel is was a "Security" reason. Maybe I still will? I'm sure that all rumors that Apple may be Censoring these forums are just rumors.

Perhaps they're right with their perceived silence strategy after all? Time can aid in healing. Now that I have been without my years-old .mac account for about a week now, I have been able to get comfortably established elsewhere - and it won't cost me a hundred bucks a year! If I can only get my lost email, and that which I never received, I would be a happy camper, even happier when if I can resolve one last detail - a refund.

MobileMe - Communications like you never iMagined!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One week no mail - Apple acknowledges problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One week no mail - Apple acknowledges problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It really is a smaller percent of the population

In reply to: One week no mail - Apple acknowledges problem

I have MobileMe myself, and on July 12th, the day after the iPhone launch, Apple got their act together and started to make their servers work again. Since then, MobileMe has worked fine for me, and quite quickly too. I had to develop a simple iWeb page and upload it to my personal iDisk, and it was much faster than .Mac.

They are working on it. They've added on a free month for many users who experienced problems, and you know they are trying to fix it. Again, I was a .Mac subscriber before as well, and my email stopped working during the transition itself. That's normal. MobileMe seems to be one of those things that "works when it works". And it works well for many.

My advice is to be patient. You should expect MobileMe to start working soon. If not, then you really should complain at Apple. Good luck.

-BMF

Collapse -
MobileMe - we tried to voice our issue with Apple

In reply to: It really is a smaller percent of the population

I agree that they are working on the problem. We have been scrounging around for some indication that they even knew about it.

I have been a HUGE Apple supporter since my first Mac in 1982 and I agree that the best place to voice objections is with Apple - if they let you. And like so many others, I tried over and over again to do so.

Three hours ago, I entered week two with no Mac Mail. For me, the urgency on my part is over. The damage is done. I have moved on. How Apple handles it from here will determine the extent of damage to Apple as a company.

The issue is really two-fold, or at least how I see it.

1. The Outage.
Because I have been served by .mac for my email for so many trouble free years, the total disconnect hit me hard. I do my back-ups, so past mail is not a big concern for me personally, it is just that Apple's attempt to remain low key on this outage, so I had no time to advise my contacts of an alternate contact option before it was too late. My problems are no more important than anyone else's, but this unknown disconnect resulted in HUGE consequences. In hindsight I could have picked up a phone, which I did on Monday, but it was too late.

2. Lack of information, with the appearance of denial, or worse.

This relates to user confidence and a huge question of Apple's integrity. There was NO available method to find out even if they knew who was being affected, much less when we might expect any hint or progress. I am an expert on "S**T HAPPENS," and know that it will continue to do so. All we seek is information. ALL information is good information, even if it isn't what you want to hear.

The only status updates that I was able to find reported that corrective measures have been effective. So once again, those still without service had to somehow contact Apple to let them know otherwise. God forbid they extended the hours of the Chat Support Group, but instead they turned off the "send us an email" option when Chat is closed.

In the past week, I was able to get through to two people, both very sincere in their attempts to help. The first was someone with AppleCare. He went way out of his way to have me try things on my end . AppleCare does not support MobileMe, so I really appreciated his efforts. But he had also been kept in the dark as to the extent of the outage, or I would assume that he wouldn't have risked working outside of his job description to assist me.

Days later, I was able to connect with someone in MobileMe Chat Support, but only after days of watching the little chat window flicker on my desktop in the background. The young woman was polite, understanding and sincerely apologetic, but she had no information at all. She did say that she would pass along to the web page people the problem about the after hours email contact option not working,and I am sure she did, but it is still off. She even said that she would forward our chat session to the engineers working on the problem in the hopes that my situation would motivate them. I suggested that she NOT do this. All I wanted to know was that they were aware of it, and I remain confident that they were doing what they can to resolve it. All of these folks are in a very difficult position, but they were put there unnecessarily by Apple who kept them in the dark along with us in the one percent club.

OK, they were working on it, and that was that. But then when you read that it has all been fixed, yet we are still DOA, we have to again attempt contacting Apple to let them know otherwise, on the slim chance that they actually believed it.

That left us with the only remaining hope to obtain information. Other than a bit of humor in the interest of comic relief, albeit sarcastic, most posts were accurate and constructive in nature. In my posts I even praised the two people who I was able to reach, even though they unable to provide and help, much less information. Did I ever get a response? Well, sort of. Apple deactivated my ID, "for security reasons," they said. Period.

History - already being written - will bare out that it the lack of communicating with their customers will have a far greater negative impact on the company's reputation than any outage would. The outage itself will be forgotten in no time.

Collapse -
The point?

In reply to: MobileMe - we tried to voice our issue with Apple

Apple does a great job communicating with their customer base. Check out some of my older posts. Apple has replaced a dead hard drive for me that was several months out of the return date, they replaced my older, defective MacBook Pro, and they have been there for every issue I've had with any Apple-related product. Their technical support is great. If you are trying to say that Apple needs to inform their customers more or they need to do more, I have to disagree. Apple is doing a good job for the most part, and the majority of MobileMe users are having no problems.

You have to consider the fact that they launched: a much coveted product in over 20 countries simultaneously (the iPhone 3G), a firmware update to all existing iPhones and iPod Touch devices, and a full-fledged App Store in iTunes. Their servers were taxed big time. That's why they crashed. Too many activations and requests overloaded them. Hence, the trouble with MobileMe, which was under construction at the exact same time. And they are pulling it all together in attempt to bring their users the best experience that they can. There's no problem with being disappointed if you are affected by the outage, but not being prepared for it and blaming Apple is another. Apple is responsible for the outage, but surely you would have had an alternate system to use. Yahoo or GMail are good alternatives, not to mention free. I had to enter a secondary email when I signed up for .Mac, and I continue to use both. Relying heavily on one service will make something like this a problem.

You state that Apple deactivated your account. That doesn't make any sense. I don't see why that would happen either. If this is so, contact a higher executive at Apple support and work it out. Complaining about it here will get you nowhere, but a glance at your profile suggests that this is exactly what you wanted to do. Apple can't stop you from contacting them about this, so I suggest you should continue to do so. And they never said that it was completely fixed and perfect. Apple still reports that a small percentage of users are having problems. They are not denying it.

-BMF

Just a heads-up, but the Macintosh came out in '84.

Collapse -
Did you even TRY

In reply to: One week no mail - Apple acknowledges problem

The iPhone launch, .me transition on the same day was chaos for apple. It choked the system just as downloads on Christmas do when there is a flood of new iPods on the market. This time, it was too much for the server to handle. So it went down for a day. So what. Most of us have more than one email, we can deal with it.

THIS week I was down for a couple of hours one day with my mail program, however I could access it via the web. A slight hassle, but it was up and running fine shortly. Apple's page said roughly 1% were having problems and they were working on it ASAP (dated that day).

NO Apple's web service has not been a problem from my use. I don't know why you have a sour taste in your mouth. Do you yell and scream when your ISP or phone service drops off?

Collapse -
Nonsense

In reply to: Did you even TRY

For many, not including my e-mail is a necessity not a luxury. Seven days of sporadic outages is not acceptable. Why are you making any excuses for Apple. They decided to release the new iPhone and the upgrades at the same time, they knew how many phones were available for sale and how many upgrades needed to be done. They should have provided the necessary rources. In the buzz word of the 21th century it is called "Capacity on Demand"

Collapse -
ZERO Communication, that's why

In reply to: Did you even TRY

Yes, I understand that things break. Unfortunately I had no idea that my mail was not going out, and didn't know for 24 hours that my incoming mail was down - a couple items did come through. My problems are no more important than anyone else's, but the timing of the failure had a devastating effect due to some legal matters that got lost in the shuffle. Not that there is ever a good time.

Even IF you believe Apples estimate of 1%, that is 20,000 people who have been without service for almost TEN days now. Not partial email service, not web based service, NO SERVICE - and a total vacuum of information. Whether is be my cable TV provider, ISP, phone or whoever; if they are not able to guarantee that I will be able to speak to someone in customer support - even by email - for ten straight days, then this tell me one thing - I wasted nine days too long believing that they could fix it.

A good point of view can be seen in David Pogue's article in the NY Times a few days ago.
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/apples-mobilemess/?scp=1&sq=Apple%27s%20MobileMess&st=cse

Collapse -
Just fodder for thought.

In reply to: ZERO Communication, that's why

MSN and Yahoo email services have gone down for weeks or more at a time for some users. I see a trend here.

Collapse -
What's really unbelievable...

In reply to: ZERO Communication, that's why

is that you claim to be using computers for >20 years, yet you simply assumed that your important legal documents arrived safely at their destination. I guess your confidence indicates that you've never had any problems with email before; ever!?

Also, the Pogue article mentions it, but it'd be nice to see it here: the FREE one month extension to all accounts? My Cable/ISP has screwed up a lot worse than any of this, on numerous occasions, yet all they've ever done is raise prices. I dunno, but it makes Apple seem pretty responsive and responsible to me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.