Laptops forum

General discussion

One question

Apple or PC???
this is a stra8 up question and I want a stra8 up answear as to why "Apple" is better even though the specs on a PC piss on an apples????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wood for the Fire

In reply to: One question

First of all I don't think that issue needed any more wood for the fire but, in all honesty lets preface this comment with the statement that ?better? is a subjective term and so there might never be a definitive answer.

That being said I own a Powerbook G4 and I have gained some insight into why Mac users are so fond of their machines. If you can get over the initial price and get used to the OS what you?re left with is a nice piece of hardware. You can tell that its styling, fit, and finish, are all very refined.

Mac users will have you believe that the their machines never freeze but that is not true. In general I find the web browser and applications are slower to initialize than a PC and occasionally they do stall when the computer is pushed. Although my Powerbook has never technically crashed when programs stop responding it is tantamount to the same thing and warrants a manually restart via holding in the power button. These episodes though are relatively infrequent compared to systems failures I experience on my PC. Also the trade off in browser speed is balanced by the lack of constant pop ups. I like some of the innovations on the Mac like the convenient use of the two fingered scroll but my PC?s track pad also has a scroll bar and the ever handy second mouse button.

I think corporate identity plays some role in who ends up buying these computers for instance Apple and IBM/Lenovo share the high end market niche yet cater to different segments of that same slice of that market. Think Pads have always focused on the corporate business user while Macs have developed a reputation for being the computer of choice for graphics designers and people with similar needs.

Bottom line I think it is just a matter of preference. Apple computers definitely have a strong aesthetic sensibility to them. The Powerbook specifically has a sleek minimalist design and the under lit keyboard is very snazzy. I think this is a great part of the reason people are so attached to their Apples. They simply agree with its styling. Myself I also like the ample blue led lights on my HP notebook but I can appreciate the craftsmanship put into the Powerbook. You can really see that seems on the outer panels fit very tightly together and the shell itself is made out of high-grade materials. I do admit that many of my friends are Mac aficionados and they are all very smug about it. I like to use both platforms because they both have their strengths and weaknesses but that is not an option for most.

Here?s my answer to your question on why Mac people think Apples are better. They paid a lot for their computers because they liked the styling then ended up appreciating the simplicity and low maintenance of the OS. They remembered the problems they had with their PC?s since they are snobs projected that anger on people who buy PC?s by calling them poor and ignorant.

Snobs need to spend a lot of money on their computer to feel superior so they really only had three choices. Unfortunately IBM/Lenovos are too utilitarian and. Sony?s well they still run windows which only stupid poor people use. Apples on the other hand say, ?I am so much better than everyone else that I am intrinsically different.? Apple computers are better not because they make superior products but because the people who buy them are superior people.

Collapse -
Superiorly Arrogant? lol

In reply to: Wood for the Fire

Anyways was just going to add that the previous post gave you pretty much all the info you should need to decide or at least begin the research you can do on your own to find out what you need. Like will be said over and over again pick a computer that fits both your needs and your price range while offering you any little extra's it can. As for the favoring of their system people tend to favor the system they bought because it is what they found to fit their needs and price. Anyways good luck if your trying to buy with one of these systems clarifying your needs further if you'd like advice on what computer better fits you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.