HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

One Phone, two lines - two bills

by keving / October 13, 2004 3:32 AM PDT

I am looking for phone company that can provide me with one phone that has two different phone numbers (one for business and one that is personal) and two bills, one for my employer and one for me. Can someone recommend a service provider? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One Phone, two lines - two bills
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One Phone, two lines - two bills
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: One Phone, two lines - two bills
by bnick / October 15, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

We belong to Sprint. Its my husbands business account. but we have 4 different numbers and three different types of service on his one account. They only thing is that the bill comes in all together, but Sprint makes it convenient to optain a portion of that bill with the number you use for business on it either through them or on line. You can print a copy of that portion of the bill for your employer.

Collapse -
Re: One Phone, two lines - two bills
by mikeraymond / December 2, 2004 1:50 AM PST

Nextel- most of their phones support 2 lines - ask about it.

Collapse -
one phone two lines, yes and its not nextel
by amyatomicstudios / June 29, 2009 1:56 PM PDT

ok so i heard nextel does do that kind of thing, but this service is way cheaper and its a bit easier too.
www.secondvoice.com

second voice does the same thing, they can route 2 different lines to one phone, up to 5 lines i think, would that be better? its only like 15 dollars a month, think that cheaper than most...

Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 29, 2009 11:46 PM PDT

Easier and cheaper method would be to simply use the call forwarding feature with any carrier setup as a shared (or Family plan) and have all phone #'s forwarded to one mobile #. With virtually every carrier the additional lines of service would only pay $9.99/month.

Collapse -
one phone, two lines - two bills
by mike6778 / March 4, 2010 11:05 AM PST

Most dual line cell phones will work with 2 sim card that come from different accounts as long as they are on the same network. Look at the phones at http://www.duallinecellphone.com they have some pretty cool phones designed for the far east market. They are in English, and seem to have more features that phones in the US

Collapse -
Problem
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2010 10:59 PM PST

The vast majority of the cheap chinese made dual handsets in this regard are 1) extremely poor quality, and 2) offer little in the way of technical support. The so called 'extra features' (read, flashy marketing) are at best fluff IME.

To the OP> Personally, I'd stick with what minimalist suggested regarding adding a cheap second line (~$9.99) and use simple phone forwarding. You'll keep the entire process very, very streamlined in this regard and have very simple way of getting the support you need/warranty on the handset should the need arise.

Collapse -
I love the six year old threads (LOL) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2010 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Problem

n/t

Collapse -
one cell two lines
by mike6778 / March 5, 2010 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Problem

I don't know why you call Chinese made phones bad. I think most cell phones are made in china, even iPhone. What is weird is that the Chinese phone have so many more features that are not offered in the US. US phones will not offer FM radio, but will offer a pay cirrus account, It is even getting harder to find US phones that have WIFI, instead you have to pay 30 mo for on internet account. If you want a new phone you have to sign a contract, and you end up paying four times what the phone is worth. As far as warranty, I have never had a cell phone that was actually covered, they alway said , it was water damage even when it did not get wet. I'll buy the inexpensive import, throw it away when it breaks, and buy another one, and save money in the long run, and have more useful features.

Collapse -
Disposable phone is using bad judgement
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2010 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: one cell two lines

Please re-read what I wrote. I don't think you are thinking this through carefully.

I did *not* state that phones made in China are bad. Quite the opposite, actually. Apple, Nokia, HTC make some excellent phones in China/Taiwan that are very well supported. That's why they present such an all around strong value. OTOH, the off brand dual SIM models you mention do not bring the same quality to the table by any means. They are indeed 'disposable' based on their lack of build quality and lack of post sales support, so go ahead and fool yourself in thinking that they have wonderful extra features that are so in demand.

You may not have paid close enough attention on the stipulations involved when you purchased the (presumably, name brand) insurance for the phone that was supposedly water damaged. If the inside sensor turned pink it means you *did* expose the handset (perhaps inadvertently) to either extremely humid conditions or outright water (small splash from a drink maybe). That's enough to invalidate a claim. If you did *not* see the pink indicator inside, you should have used that as a point when going through with the warranty/insurance claim. Common sense stuff, really. You just didn't use information/law to your advantage as a consumer.

Regarding your comment on wifi lacking on handsets for the U.S. market, you are a couple years behind. Even Verizon, who previously locked out or simply didn't include wifi on most of their smartphones, has several to choose from. The Pre-paid/MVNOs even have some w/ wifi. Also, you do not have to purchase directly from all the carriers. ATT lets you bring in an unbranded/unlocked GSM/UMTS handset of your choice with the correct frequency bands. This also helps you avoid the mandatory data plan for smartphones. Again, it's all about being an educated consumer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.