General discussion

"One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency..."

Hello. I'm running Windows 7 64bit on an ASUS G51VX. Every time I reboot the system, I'm greeted with a black screen after Windows tries to load. It reads,

"Checking file system on c:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue."

The next line is basically "press any key to cancel within..." and then a 10 second countdown that seems to freeze at "1 second(s)."

I let it run for about 90 mins while I ran some errands, when I came back it was still at the same screen and I had no idea if it was even doing anything. So I did a hard reboot, got the screen again and cancelled. I ran Disk Cleanup, which went fine, but when I tried to run Defrag, it didn't even open. I simply clicked it in the menu with no result.

Upon trying to run Chkdsk in the command prompt, I was told that I didn't have "sufficient privileges." Okay...

I'm really dreading doing a system restore, and I assume backing up my HD at this point either wouldn't work, or would preserve whatever's corrupt.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency..."
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let it run when you boot and it ...

indicates that checkdisk is necessary.

You have NOT MENTIONED the size of the hard drive but it can be a VERY LENGTHY process ans progress may indeed not be apparent to you.

Allow it to run overnight if necessary and don't be so impatient.

- Collapse -
Same thing is happening to me

What happened after you let it run over night, because I have a 500gb hard drive and i've let it run a full 24 hours and nothing happened, the screen remained the same black screen with 1 second left on the 10 second count down. Sent it back to the manufacture, and when they sent it back it was having the same problems. I didn't have this problem when running vista so does it have something to do with Windows 7 specifically?

- Collapse -
Try re-installing Windows.

I ended up doing a full Windows restore, and the problem went away. Good luck, bro. I hope you have your HD on back-up.

To the second poster: Last I checked, whether or not you read a post and/or respond is totally voluntary... so try to check your tone, and be a little more "patient" should you choose to add your two cents. Civility works wonders.

Thanks!

CNET Forums

Forum Info