HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

One of two Striped Drives not found

by Nort_Thalem / April 2, 2011 1:33 PM PDT

Im using windows 7 to act as a software raid/striped drive for two 1.5 TB drives. A few months ago one of the drives stopped working but it kicked back in when the computer restarted. Now it seems one of the two drives are gone for good, or at least; It says the drive is missing. It still seems to show the drive in the disk manager, it lists it's total volume but it wont let me look at the properties. It shows the drive it's paired with(Listed as working properly in it's properties though listed as failed in the Drisk manager).

Are there any further measures I can take to diognose what is wrong with it and possibly re-enable this drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One of two Striped Drives not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One of two Striped Drives not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given so little story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 1:49 PM PDT

I would re-examine the power supply head room. Are you sure you have at least double the Watts the machine draws on average?

Then power down and gently push all drive connections and power to the drives home. Re-test.

If that doesn't help, remove spare drives and re-test.
Bob

Collapse -
Did nothing, back online
by Nort_Thalem / April 2, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Given so little story.

Havent had time to look at the details of the power supply yet, but the machine was assembled with later additions in mind (and was actually upgraded to a higher capacity model for free when the power supply I selected was out of stock), unless it's not working at full capacity like it should be. It would make sense if the power was the problem, is there a way to check if it's working right with the computer's operating system?

I tested all physical connections and plugs before I made the topic. After restarting my computer three times in a row, the drive in question seems to have kicked in again. It is now backing up.

I cant seem to find my motherboard specifications, it has built in raid control but it either configures all my drives into the raid or none of them so Ive been using the software drive striping of windows 7. I have 2 500gb hard drives and two 1.5 tb hard drives running on it, three more drives than when I bought it. The processor is an AMD Phenom quad core black edition, with 4 GB memory and an ati radeon HD 4850 graphics card.

Collapse -
Pain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 2:51 PM PDT

Sorry but RAID on some of those Phenom boards are legends in tech circles. Hope you save your stuff.

If you must go RAID, consider a card next time or that other make chipset.
Bob

Collapse -
Disk saving complete
by Nort_Thalem / April 2, 2011 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Pain.

Yep, I figured the motherboard raid would be the way to go, and after 2 days of frustration discovering its an all in or no raid setup long after I bought it was a huge disapointment. Ive been connsidering the raid card for a month or so now, since this software one on W7 is worthless as a speed boost. Im hoping to grab a cheaper 25-50'ish raid pci express card, but I wonder if they are any good in that price range.

Everythings backed up now, which saves me from a day of downloading all my games off steam again.

Collapse -
That's what I found too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Disk saving complete

That some software RAIDs are slower than a single good HDD.

When picking a card, read reviews and watch out for extended boot times.
Bob

Collapse -
Curse you Windows Live Messenger
by Nort_Thalem / April 3, 2011 10:31 AM PDT

I was running the chkdsk program like the opperating system said I should when it came back online, after letting it run for so long I clicked on the box to check the progress and for some reason the Windows Live Messenger login poped up overtop of it and then shut down chkdsk somehow O_o

I called it a night and shut the PC down, of couse now the drive stopped working when I turned it back on. Im giving up on this for now and will be trying to claim the warranty, I appreciate the advice.

Collapse -
Power seems fine
by Nort_Thalem / April 3, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

Ive got a 750 watt power supply, which the testing device seems to indicate is working properly. Assuming the tester is accurate that probably means one of a few things, bad hard drive, operating system error, or motherboard problem. Ive got to tinker withthe bios though, it seems to think any memory cards plugged into the multi reader are the primary boot drive, and I imagine that could lead to this kind of problem, but Im not sure why it would be sporadic. Theres no way to edit a previous post here is there?

Collapse -
Editing was discussed in the Forum Feedback Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Power seems fine

You can Preview prior to posting.
You can alert your post and ask for a delete.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.