Speakeasy forum

General discussion

One of the many (NON Bush) reasons Fannie failed

by critic411 / September 18, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One of the many (NON Bush) reasons Fannie failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One of the many (NON Bush) reasons Fannie failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my father
by dirtyrich / September 18, 2008 9:24 PM PDT

has worked for the Dept of Housing and Urban Development for most of his adult life and pretty much has been predicting this for the past ten years because he's seen, on the ground level, the problems that have been building up.

Collapse -
Yep !!
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: my father

President Bush wanted massive reforms in 2003, but the Democrats stopped it.

One doesn't have to look far to see the Clinton/Democrat/Obama connection in this mess.

But alas, the MSM is silent once again.

Collapse -
I fail to see the connection with Obama.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep !!

After all, he's only member of the Senate since January 2005, and not involved in the 2003 decisions.
How far (back) do you look to see the connection? And what connection exactly?

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe you should read more
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 9:49 PM PDT

Who ran Fannie and is on Obama's team?

Do please keep cuurrent

Collapse -
(NT) Too far for me without explanation.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 9:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Connections...
by J. Vega / September 19, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

Connections with Obama? Look into the past actions of Franklin D. Raines and James A. Johnson, and then note their duties in the Obama campaign.

Collapse -
I love those conspiracy theories.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 9:52 PM PDT

The Democrates blocked a necessary reform in 2003, because they knew it would cause a crisis in 2008, so they could win the presidency back in the resulting economic mess, chaos and discord.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) What idiot said that?
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 9:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
See, I'm learning.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: What idiot said that?

That's what I called retorics 101. Attacking somebody on something he didn't say, but maybe could have said.
A very instructive forum, this.

Kees

Collapse -
BULL FLOP!
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: See, I'm learning.

Show me where ANYONE said anything about a conspiracy.

Collapse -
That's not what was said
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 10:06 PM PDT

It's not a conspiracy theory. The Dems DID block needed regulation for their own purposes. They were warned that it could lead to a disaster. They ignored the warnings. It (among other factors, but that was the root factor) did lead to a disaster. End of story.

The "Conspiracy Theory " is a product of your imagination.

Collapse -
Re: conspiracy
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 10:11 PM PDT

Blocking something for your own (undisclosed) purposes knowing it will lead to a disaster, that's a good script for any movie. Why not call it a conspiracy?

Kees

Collapse -
Consequences not conspiracy
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: conspiracy

New word of the day for you

Collapse -
Pay attention!
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 10:18 PM PDT
No one said they did it because they knew it would lead to a disaster. No one. They were warned and pooh-poohed the warnings.

Never attribute to evil that which can be explained by stupidity.

They did it because they wanted money to be really loose for lower income families,. There's votes in them there hills.

It's all a matter of public record. Not really disputable. Fannie/Freddie was very tight with the Dems. Why do you think they gave so much money to Obama, Kerry, Dodd, et al.?

I think you are beyond your depth here.
Collapse -
Never attribute
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Pay attention!

to evil that which can be explained by stupidity

I like that.

Is it coyrighted?

Collapse -
Attributed to Napoleon...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Never attribute

There are variations in wording and who supposedly said it. Some say "incompetence" instead of "stupidity".

Collapse -
Ahhh !!
by critic411 / September 18, 2008 10:42 PM PDT

I see
Thanks

Collapse -
So then, Kees...
by J. Vega / September 19, 2008 2:56 AM PDT

So then, Kees, would the actions of Barney Frank fit your definition of conspiracy? Hey, if you're going to try to gen up conspiracies, why exclude him.

Collapse -
Why bother to try and win an election?
by JP Bill / September 18, 2008 10:25 PM PDT

Weren't the Republicans in control of The House of Representatives for the last 8 years?

Weren't the Republicans in control of The Senate UNTIL 2006?

"In control" for 6 of the last 8 years.

"Not in control" for the last 2

BUT

President Bush wanted massive reforms in 2003, but the Democrats stopped it.

What happened to the 3 years between 2003 and 2006 when Republicans were in control in The House of Representatives and The Senate?

And I asked this question before

When do YOU think a leader should take responsibility for what goes on in their tenure?

Or is it always the other guys fault?

Collapse -
Are you claiming it never happened?
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 10:49 PM PDT

Legislation can be blocked by the minority party. It happens all the time. People do not always vote in lockstep.

The President can't sign legislation taht doesn't pass. He's not the king. He doesn't always get what he wants.

Sounds more like you are making excuses for the Democrats. I'm not putting ALL the blame on the Democrats (or even the government), but they deserve a huge share of it.

Collapse -
RE: People do not always vote in lockstep.
by JP Bill / September 18, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

When Republicans don't vote with Republicans can't you also say they blocked it?

Then perhaps

The Democrats blocked it

is not the correct phrase.

Collapse -
No.
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 10:58 PM PDT
The Democrats blocked it is the correct phrase. So they sucked in a couple of "Independents" or Republicans. Still their bad.

There are leaders and positions taken by parties. Making lame excuses for them won't fly.
Collapse -
Making lame excuses for them won't fly.
by JP Bill / September 18, 2008 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

Then don't try.

If an opposition party votes against something that's not unusual (some would say it's expected)

When a member of your own party votes against something (a party position) THEY are the ones that are responsible.

Blaming the other guy is a "lame excuse"

Collapse -
That's just ridiculous.
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 11:11 PM PDT

When whole bunch of Dems do something they are not responsible... but when a couple of Republicans go along, THEY are the guilty ones.

Okay, not riding any mre.

Collapse -
(NT) Good i was getting dizzy
by JP Bill / September 18, 2008 11:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
One of the things that happened...
by J. Vega / September 19, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

One of the things that happened was Barny Frank, acting as Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. He didn't like the plan to create a new agency within the Treasury Department to assume supervision of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. He said "These two entities, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not facing any kind of financial crisis.".
One person, in a powerful position of a powerful committee, can block something.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.