General discussion

One ISP for all needs

I have unsuccessfully searched the Internet for information on choosing one ISP to handle all my fixed base and mobile operations. The context for this request is simple... how to avoid paying for two ISP's at the same time... one to handle my need to access the Internet from my laptop when traveling and another to handle my Internet access from my office/home? It makes no sense to duplicate my ISP monthly charges when one access for both broadband and wireless Internet access would provide what is needed. I can't/don't access the Internet from all my devices (cell phone, desktop computer, laptop computer or other mobile devices) at the same time so why is it necessary for me to pay extra for each to have access?

The information I have found appears that the industry does not want a consumer to save duplicate charges because they emphasize that each ISP is only good either as a stand-alone Broadband or Wireless but not to fulfill both.

Why is this the case and what can a consumer do who does not want to pay twice for Internet access?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: One ISP for all needs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: One ISP for all needs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
While ATT is one idea.

I found that using a Deathstar megasized company comes at a price. Yes you can get almost world wide access and a single bill but was it worth that?
Bob

- Collapse -
Profit

It all comes down to a company making as much money as the customer will tolerate paying.

ISP do offer the plan you talk about where you get both home and wireless internet for one price but you have to be spending enough money that it is worth the time for a sales rep to come and talk to you. Generally a mid to large company can get things like this it is a volume purchase kinda deal.

Maybe in a couple more years when everyone has their LTE 4g networks complete and need to start to compete against each other we may see some deals on mobile broadband. For now high speed mobile is new and hard to get so you pay what they want or you don't get it.

CNET Forums