TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

one hdmi port which device should i use it for

by daniel626 / October 24, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

i have recently purchased a JVC D-ILA 720p and it has only one hdmi port and i am trying to find out what would provide the best results
idea # 1
connecting my motorolla 6412cable box dvi port to the hdmi
i am currently using component at 720p
idea #2
purchase a panasonic dvd s97s upconverting dvd player and have it connected through hdmi at 720p

which result would yeild the best results i am thinking that the cable box wouldnt improve much over hdmi versus component but the dvd player over hdmi should make a huge difference please correct me if im wrong

what does everyone haveto say from their own experience?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: one hdmi port which device should i use it for
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: one hdmi port which device should i use it for
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YOU NEED A D.V.I. SWITCHER
by stewart norrie / October 24, 2005 8:09 AM PDT

use a h.d.m.i to d.v.i. adapter on your t.v. I assume you are using a seperate 5.1. audio system other than the crummy speakers in your t.v. ok then make sure your d.v.d. player has d.v.i. output then run d.v.i out of your hi-def tuner and d.v.d. player thru a Gifin d.v.i. switcher I spent a year trying to get a good picture from my hi-def tuner and d.v.d. player using componit vidio cables until I ran my system on only d.v.i. connections I have the Denon 2910 d.v.d. player and the dish 811 hi-def satellit system with the Givin d.v.i switcher and now I have a stunningpicture the d.v.i. picture looks almost as good as hi-def good luck stewart norrie cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
re
by daniel626 / October 24, 2005 1:17 PM PDT

what i was trying to find out was what would yeild the best improvement of picture quality between the two but when i get a chance i will get a switcher

Collapse -
stewie gets confused easily...
by Allin4greeN / October 25, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: re

The Panasonic upconverting player you mentioned has received some very good reviews. Given the monitor you have, you may be able to see an appreciable difference over a standard DVD player (via HDMI or DVI connections). If you decide to go the DVD upconverting route, I'd definitely recommend using the all-digital connections (HDMI/DVI) and use components for your Motorola.

My current set-up includes a 32'' Westy LCD monitor with Dish 942 receiver and Samsung HD850 upconverting player. For this set-up, I found the best PQ using the connections I recommended above. Basically, if you get an upconverting player, you shouldn't use anything BUT the digital connections.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Collapse -
Best source
by HTHMAN / October 24, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

To see an improvement on your DVDs, you will have to wait until you have high def DVDs. Currently you are not going to get 720p from a DVD. If you are getting 720p from your cable box, use the DVI on it. When Dishnetwork hooked up my high def box, they used component cables which I switched to DVI and used component on my DVD player. There may have been a measurable difference in picture quality, but I could not really "see" it. Either will give you a great picture.

Collapse -
QUESTION FOR BEST SOURCE?
by stewart norrie / October 31, 2005 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Best source

when I had my Dish #811 installed using componit vidio cables the picture was NASTY. I had just bought my new Sony KP65WV600 3 tube 3 ton t.v. so I to replaced with a d.v.i. cable perfect picture, then I noticed my d.v.d. picture looked tewrrible using componit vidio cables so I tried everything but no help so I finally bought a Denon 2910 player with d.v.i. output and a Gifin d.v.i. switcher and bam beautiful my question is why didn't componit vidio cables give me a good picture cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
Question for StewartNorrie
by Allin4greeN / November 2, 2005 10:28 AM PST

Hey stew, what's your native language?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?