Computer Help forum

General discussion

One computer can?t access my computer while everyone else ca

Problem?
I recently installed a new XP Professional computer on the network. I am trying to access a Vista computer, which everyone else can access even another XP computer. The new XP computer is a reinstall from a previous installation that was able to connect to my computer.
Everyone can access the XP computer, but he cannot access my computer, and only he cannot access my computer?

I have tried over a dozen fixes, registries, Winsock Fixes, resetting int IP, tried even a new Ethernet card, and it is still not working?
I need some help because this is just getting frustrating for me and I am about to drop kick it out the window?
Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One computer can?t access my computer while everyone else ca
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One computer can?t access my computer while everyone else ca
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I didn't see where...

In reply to: One computer can?t access my computer while everyone else ca

You logged onto your XP machine as "gmxenus" and had a matching account where you logon to the Vista machine as well as that LLTD responder thing (from Microsoft.)

If you don't want to deal with it all I strongly suggest you try the demo of NETWORK MAGIC (see google.)

Bob

Collapse -
Actually...

In reply to: I didn't see where...

That was one of the dozens of fixes I tried, I have the exact name of the person on the other computer on my computer.

Collapse -
Network Magic

In reply to: Actually...

Made it even worse, now it says that I don't even have anything plugged into the router, and windows says that I don't have any ethernet card...

I was forced to reinstall XP... Hopefully it is a good install.

Collapse -
Never use Network Magic.

In reply to: Network Magic

It killed my Ethernet card, just after reinstalling windows XP. IT cannot detect any network card...

Never use Network Magic.

Collapse -
That's too bad.

In reply to: Network Magic

The only time I found Network Magic to fail was in 2 cases.

1. The machine had been hit with a trojan.
2. The OS was an illegal hacked version.

Otherwise it's been just fine.

Sorry it wasn't the account thing. The next most common is the firewall. Zone Alarm is disconnecting most with that last update.
Bob

Collapse -
Well it turns out..;.

In reply to: That's too bad.

That were was nothing wrong with the other PC, it was my PC... instead of just turning off all sharing, and disabling everything I have shared, I turned and disabled all sharing, restarted (most important part I guess) and logged back on, everything like MSN, Groove, and Windows Live Mail, all the passwords were reset and I had to type all the information again... strage as it sounds, I re-enabled all the sharing and it worked just fine...

So I suppose it's all good...

I'm just glad the Ethernet card I was using wasn't the one on the main board, it was that I had switched out to see if it was something wrong with the onboard ethernet controller...

Although it was a very good card it was a little out-dated.

Thanks for trying though Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.