Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

One computer can see, but not access...the other can't see..

by adamj3333 / November 27, 2004 6:44 AM PST

I am using XP Home Edition. I am trying to set up access between computers, but I am having some trouble.

The first computer is named "Jess." The second computer is named "Adam." The workgroup is named "Moung"

"Jess" can see, but not access, "Adam". Jess can see AND access "Jess" and "Moung."

"Adam" cannot see or access "Adam" "Jess" or "Moung." Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One computer can see, but not access...the other can't see..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One computer can see, but not access...the other can't see..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check these first
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2004 7:01 AM PST

Have you set up file/print sharing? Do you logon with usernames and passwords? If so, you should create that user on each PC you wish to access. You can also check to see if Windows firewall is on and turn it off but it should work ok as long as you have SP2 installed on each XP computer.

Collapse -
Re: Check these first
by adamj3333 / November 27, 2004 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Check these first

We don't log in with usernames and passwords...and I am not sure what SP2 is...can someone help?

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 27, 2004 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Check these first
Collapse -
by Cheng / November 28, 2004 5:55 AM PST

Dear David, I have the same problem. The master is of WinXP home and the slave, a notebook of Win XP pro. The master who has the internet connection can see and share the files of the slave but the slave can share the internet connection but denied acces to the master's shared files. I have the lan installed nearly 6 months ago. Everything worked fine until one day such above things happened. The two computers are virus free. I have reinstalled the lan but of no avail. Someone suggest me that it might be the administrator granted right in the slave but I cannot figure out what to do!
Paris

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 28, 2004 8:06 AM PST

Paris,

Your Desktop being XP Home Edition has only "Simple File Sharing" while the Laptop running XP Pro may have Simple File Sharing turned off.

Check in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options and enable Simple File Sharing.

Collapse -
by Cheng / November 28, 2004 8:53 PM PST

Dear David, the "Simple File Sharing" is already enabled in the Laptop running XP Pro. Any other suggestions?
Paris

Collapse -
NIS
by hemvee / November 28, 2004 9:46 PM PST

I have Norton Internet Security and my computers lost the ability to "see" each other. There is a place in NIS where you can type in the name of the computers that can be seen. Once I figured out it was a problem with NIS I was able to easily fix the settings. Do you have NIS? Or another security program that could be preventing your computers from seeing each other?

Collapse -
Re: NIS
by Cheng / November 28, 2004 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: NIS

I don't have NIS and the two computers can see each other. Only the slave is denied access to the master.
Paris

Collapse -
Your problem is totally different than the original poster..
by Cetin Denislam / November 29, 2004 4:49 AM PST

Reasons:

1. He has windows XP Home Edition on both. You have windows XP Home and XP Pro. The Home Pro workgroups architectures and configurations are different.

2. He has a workgroup problem with both at the same level. Yours is probable related with Internet Connection Sharing with windows XP Home as Host and XP Pro as Client.

3. Also, the Service Pack (1 or 2) might influence the original poster?s or your ICS problem. Neither him nor you didn?t specify this info.

I understand that you don?t have NIS. What about another Firewall ? Examples: windows firewall, Zone Alarm, etc. How is your Host connected to Internet ? Do you have any router ?

Just FYI here?s a MSKB article for windows XP Home regarding permissions.

Q308421 - ?How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by madforce / November 29, 2004 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Check these first

I ran into this problem last year, and this is how I fixed it:

1. Go into your router and clear the DHCP Lookup Table
2. Rename each computer to a new name and reboot.

When I ran into this problem, I pinged my other systems using the assigned IP address and I had full access; however, when I pinged using the system name, I ran into the same problems you did. I finally determined that the system names and the IP addresses were somehow out of whack.

And be sure you install SP2; it allows you to connect to your other systems even when the firewall is on, something ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) would not allow in WinXP, SP1 and SP1a.

If you don't know what SP2 is...you should.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?