TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onboard sound distorting

Hi, I'm having a problem with my onboard soundcard. I'm getting low volume (if at all) and noise in the right side. It takes a few reboots till it's ok.

I'm a newby so if some of these details seem a bit off then that's why but anyway I have a KT600 motherboard and the onboard sound is Realtek ALC655 with the AC97 thing.

I tried installing the drivers off the cd again but that didn't help.

One thing that it could be to do with but may have nothing to do with is that I bent a jack that was plugged into the front mic inputand that input doesn't work anymore. I can't remember though whether I had this problem prior to doing that as I've had this problem for months and have been putting up with just rebooting until it's gone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onboard sound distorting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onboard sound distorting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions

In reply to: Onboard sound distorting

Hello,

What operating system are you running and have you installed any new multimedia software lately?

Thank you,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! Comes with 2 years of FREE revised editions that are available every six months. visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
XP

In reply to: Questions

I'm on XP home (still service pack 1). I've actually had this problem for months n months but always put up with having to reboot until it comes on without the problem so it's not anything to do with something I've done recently.

Collapse -
My first thought

In reply to: XP

Hello,

My first thought would be that this is an XP issue. If it were a hardware issue, rebooting would not make a difference. There must be a conflict somewhere between to programs.

If not, I would just purchase a new sound card.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! Includes 2 FREE years of 6 month revised editions. visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: My first thought

Well, I have actually got another sound card (this problem was long before I got it so it isn't to do with having two sound cards) that I bought fairly recently so that I could have a midi input but it's only a cheap one that I got just for that. It doesn't support 5.1 which my speakers are and the line-in doesn't work/can't select it.

I'd rather not have to get another card as money is tight for me atm.

If it's an issue with XP how do I find out?

Collapse -
Diagnosing XP

In reply to: Hmm

Hello,

One way to check to see if there are any hardware conflicts is to go to your control panel,
double click on "System"
select "Hardware"
select "Device manager"
select "resources by connection"

Look to see if you have multiply items on one IRQ. For example IRQ 11 is listed more than once with multiple items connected to it.

Depending on your motherboard and setup you may be able to move cards around to different PCI slots etc as wells as you may be able to go into the properties of each item and change the resources to a different IRQ.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! Comes with 2 years of FREE 6 month revised editions. visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: Diagnosing XP

Well, I just had a look and there are two things sharing IRQ 16 and about 5 things sharing 21. I clicked properties for them all and clicked resources and it said in the box 'no conflicts' for them all.

This IRQ numbers thing is way over my head as I'm a newby with comps.

When I booted up today the problem wasn't there first time and I wonder if nothing would show up as wrong in device manager whilst it's working.

Collapse -
RE: Ok

In reply to: Ok

Hello,

I think you might be better served going to this forum and posting. Someone may have almost your exact setup that may help you better than I can, or anyone else in this particular forum, since no one else has replied to you.

I would go to one of these three forums for help.
WinXP
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6142-0.html?forumID=5&start=0

PC Applications
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6138-0.html?forumID=31&start=0

PC Hardware
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-7591-0.html?forumID=26&start=0

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: RE: Ok

No problem, I'll try in there then. I wasn't sure where to post when I made this thread as this is my first visit to here.

Collapse -
Edit

In reply to: Thanks

Actually this isn't my first visit is it Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.