Computer Help forum

General discussion

Onboard graphic card and new PCI card

by thesux / March 30, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

Hello, here's my problem.

I've had an onboard graphic card for the past few years, yes it suck, but didn't had the money to upgrade it.

During a sale I've come across a ATI RAGE 128 GL PCI still in-box (without driver cd).
To my best surprises, my PC detect the card, on my control panel -> systems -> material-> There's my onboard card, and the new one there's a huge yellow " ! " and there's a message "This peripherique (sp?) doesn't work as intended (Code 10). After some search, I saw I would have to turn off my onboard, and put it on PCI. After going in Bios turning off onboard then putting it on PCI there's a really weird noise and even if I connect my screen on the card input still nothing.

I will REALLY appreciate ANY help. Well, except info like "lawl ur pc is teh sux get a new one" I don't have thousands nor hundreds of dollars to put on this PC. I want to enjoy my game, without having to pay 4000$ for the latest bomb. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onboard graphic card and new PCI card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onboard graphic card and new PCI card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Onboard graphic card and new PCI card
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 9:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
^ci
by thesux / March 30, 2009 9:42 AM PDT

The noise is only at the beginning like "Beep beeeeep beep"

Thanks for the link, however I get redirected on ADM website saying the download is not authorized.

Collapse -
Re: Need advices!
by thesux / March 30, 2009 9:48 AM PDT

Also, someone told me maybe my games wouldn't be supported because there's no gpu (sp?) on the RAGE's card. Don't know if it's true so, again any help will be welcome!

Collapse -
Well...
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Need advices!

The RAGE series is at least 10 years old, so you can do your best with it and see how it goes; I tried some other driver download sites and they all redirect to the ATI driver page, which says the driver is "unavailable". Sorry, I guess you can continue using your onboard graphics or buy another card.

Collapse -
Re: well
by thesux / March 30, 2009 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Well, do you think buying another motherboard could help? (i.e another motherboard for agp card) But if I do that, would I be able to use my "old" sound card and such?

Collapse -
Re: Well
by thesux / March 30, 2009 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: well

Also, I looked up the Code10 error without any answers, if anyone got one around here, it would be great!

Collapse -
no, because
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

No, I don't think that buying a new motherboard would help because hardware trends go like this:
"Newer models phase out older ones" not "Newer models come with support for older ones". That is why every 6 months to a year you hear about the latest and greatest hardware being up to date with the current trends. Its pretty much if a piece of hardware goes out of date, it stays out of date.

Collapse -
by thesux / March 30, 2009 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: no, because

Ok so if I want to be able to play i.e Counter Strike Source or World of Warcraft without a shitload of lags, I need the latest computer?

Collapse -
not necessarily
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 10:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: thanks
by thesux / March 30, 2009 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: not necessarily

Well, for WoW I can play NP again, just in big cities. For CS I can play, but on small maps. Get a new card, add more rams?

Collapse -
by thesux / March 30, 2009 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: thanks

Also, if I want to replace my onboard card with the RAGE one there's no ways of doing it if I'm not mistaken?

Btw, thanks for your help so far <3

Collapse -
yeah
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 11:29 AM PDT

Yeah, there's just not going to be an efficient way of using the RAGE. So, yeah you can just get a new card with more RAM (256-512Mb should be plenty) and DirectX 9 or 10 and you should be good.

Your welcome,
CJ

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by thesux / March 30, 2009 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

You got any idea of some good PCI card in the range you mentioned? 256-512 mb

Collapse -
what do you have?
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thanks

Do you have just a regular PCI slot? Or do you have a PCI Express or AGP slot?

Collapse -
re: Poop
by thesux / March 30, 2009 11:41 AM PDT

Regular PCI slot, that's why I was asking about a crappy crappy 128. I'm limited, but I'm sure there's some nice one still around so.

Collapse -
Re: Card
by thesux / March 30, 2009 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Poop
Collapse -
ehhh
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Card

It's okay, but the memory is 64Mb, that's a too low for what you want to do.

Collapse -
okay
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Poop
Collapse -
Haha
by thesux / March 30, 2009 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: okay

Haha, thanks alot for the help, will probably order it tonight, thanks for making me feels bad because of my crappy pc tought <3

Collapse -
RE: Haha
by C_Jones / March 30, 2009 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Haha

It's all good

Your welcome,
CJ

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?