Attention forum users: The forums will be placed on read only mode this coming Saturday (10/20/2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only and submissions will not be allowed. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here for details.

Tablets forum

General discussion

On the Horizon

by chadharrisonford / September 14, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

It seems we're seeing some stagnation in the market right now, with fewer new tablets being introduced. I'm excluding the no-name cheapies.

Anyhow, what's on the horizon? Are we going to be overwhelmed by Win8 tablets? Are we going to be seeing some Android tablets come to market to take-on/one-up the Google Nexus 7?

In short, what are we seeing coming and what trends are we seeing poised to be introduced?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On the Horizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On the Horizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm seeing refinements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: On the Horizon

As to the Nexus 7 and KF HD models, those set the bar for the 199 buck point. The only down side I see is the same issues we have that were always there. The recurring one is the user that thinks they can use this instead for a laptop (Windows or Apple.)

The Windows 8 Slate is going to have to deliver something that only Microsoft can deliver. Office. The window may be closing fast on that but it is the one thing they have in their favor and it's up to them to make it happen.

-> There is an issue about service, repair and support for these tablets. So far, those areas look like a disaster zone.
Bob

Collapse -
ugh
by Gypht / September 27, 2012 4:46 AM PDT

I cannot think of anything that a Laptop could do that my TF300 couldnt. I love the app CamScanner. I have taken so many forms taken a picture of it, enhanced it, converted it to PDF, and printed it off (wirelessly). Can a Laptop do that?

My Roku remote broke a few days after buying it...downloaded a free Roku Remote app..works like a charm.

I had to setup my bosses laptop to be able to print wirelessly. Inserted the disk went through the steps of downloading the drivers. Then printed out a sample. Took about 10 minutes. Setup my tablet to do it, went to the google play store searched epson printer downloaded it found the printer setup took less than 5 minutes no test page printing needed.

I was in my room, opened my tablet, opened splashtop app. Connected to my pc, turned on the webcam, watched my kids from my room with my tablet and my pcs webcam.

Again, I haven't found anything that a Laptop can do that a tablet cannot..I have found things a laptop cannot do that a tablet can.

Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ugh

ESPN, HULU and other content seems to be hit and miss on the tablets.

Also, folk are trying to run Word or something like it and so far, it looks like Microsoft may be keeping that to themselves for Windows 8 tablets.
Bob

Collapse -
eh
by Gypht / September 27, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

Polaris office seems to work Word just fine for me. As for Hulu its supported on some tablets, and they are increasing the list. ESPN..don't use it wouldnt know.

Collapse -
Hulu or Hulu Plus?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: eh

I continue to hear screams when folk can get to hulu.com on the browser.

Collapse -
Windows Surface Tablet
by jcnetg / October 6, 2012 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: On the Horizon

Check out the upcoming Windows "Surface" tablet in the September issue of PC World. It`s on page 79. Real interesting! jcnetg

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!