General discussion

On the Horizon

It seems we're seeing some stagnation in the market right now, with fewer new tablets being introduced. I'm excluding the no-name cheapies.

Anyhow, what's on the horizon? Are we going to be overwhelmed by Win8 tablets? Are we going to be seeing some Android tablets come to market to take-on/one-up the Google Nexus 7?

In short, what are we seeing coming and what trends are we seeing poised to be introduced?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: On the Horizon
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: On the Horizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm seeing refinements.

As to the Nexus 7 and KF HD models, those set the bar for the 199 buck point. The only down side I see is the same issues we have that were always there. The recurring one is the user that thinks they can use this instead for a laptop (Windows or Apple.)

The Windows 8 Slate is going to have to deliver something that only Microsoft can deliver. Office. The window may be closing fast on that but it is the one thing they have in their favor and it's up to them to make it happen.

-> There is an issue about service, repair and support for these tablets. So far, those areas look like a disaster zone.
Bob

- Collapse -
ugh

I cannot think of anything that a Laptop could do that my TF300 couldnt. I love the app CamScanner. I have taken so many forms taken a picture of it, enhanced it, converted it to PDF, and printed it off (wirelessly). Can a Laptop do that?

My Roku remote broke a few days after buying it...downloaded a free Roku Remote app..works like a charm.

I had to setup my bosses laptop to be able to print wirelessly. Inserted the disk went through the steps of downloading the drivers. Then printed out a sample. Took about 10 minutes. Setup my tablet to do it, went to the google play store searched epson printer downloaded it found the printer setup took less than 5 minutes no test page printing needed.

I was in my room, opened my tablet, opened splashtop app. Connected to my pc, turned on the webcam, watched my kids from my room with my tablet and my pcs webcam.

Again, I haven't found anything that a Laptop can do that a tablet cannot..I have found things a laptop cannot do that a tablet can.

- Collapse -
Try the usual.

ESPN, HULU and other content seems to be hit and miss on the tablets.

Also, folk are trying to run Word or something like it and so far, it looks like Microsoft may be keeping that to themselves for Windows 8 tablets.
Bob

- Collapse -
eh

Polaris office seems to work Word just fine for me. As for Hulu its supported on some tablets, and they are increasing the list. ESPN..don't use it wouldnt know.

- Collapse -
Hulu or Hulu Plus?

I continue to hear screams when folk can get to hulu.com on the browser.

- Collapse -
Windows Surface Tablet

Check out the upcoming Windows "Surface" tablet in the September issue of PC World. It`s on page 79. Real interesting! jcnetg

CNET Forums