Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

On startup, Powermac G5 stuck in apple logo window

by saptime29 / October 14, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

Unit starts, but stays stuck in apple logo with status wheel continuously spinning. Also, fans gradually go on to full power. I swapped the hard drive with another which I knew was good, but same problem. Out of about 12 tries, it did push through to the desktop at which time I ran diskwarrior, repaired permissions, zapped the pram, reset PMU, & did an erase & re-install of Tiger. On restart the same problem returned. Just a spinning status wheel on the opening apple logo window, with the racing fans.
Other functions work such as target mode, starting in single user mode, & startup option ( holding down option key) which shows the hard drive, but never goes any further than the spinning wheel.
Is this a logic board problem or what other possible reason would cause this?

Powermac G5 2GHZ
1.5GB ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On startup, Powermac G5 stuck in apple logo window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On startup, Powermac G5 stuck in apple logo window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by almaink / October 14, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

If your G5 is Liquid cooled it could be leaking. My G5 just went through what you are seeing and it turned out to be leaking. I called Apple Customer Relations and told them about it and they may fix it for free. I will know in a few days. One thing I did that got it to boot was I removed the battery for a while and then put it back in, them booted it.

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by ericspc / October 17, 2009 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: PPC G5

Sometimes I only get half a startup tone. If I let it cool down, it starts up most times. I have a 2.5 ghz PM G5 and it's liquid cooled. I suspected a leak, took it to the local Apple Store and they gave me the run around and no repair.
Sometimes they suck.
Please let me know if Apple fixes yours!

Collapse -
Same problem here.
by studiostuff2 / December 10, 2009 12:29 AM PST

Same problem here although before all this happened there was a message saying something about updating boot cache. Not sure what to do now...

Collapse -
G5 Start up problems
by nebom / December 12, 2009 2:01 AM PST

I have the same problem, but I even can't pass apple logo. one suggestion I've got from (
once within the Desktop in Safe Mode (shift key) remove all folders from startup items to trash.
reboot mac normally.

If you solved it otherway, would you give me a hint?

Collapse -
G5 working
by saptime29 / December 12, 2009 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: G5 Start up problems

I'm not certain which of these two changes to my G5 fixed the problem. I replaced the hard drive & the memory at the same time. I should have done each separately so I could know which was the culprit. I do think it was the memory because I had tried to swap a used HD that I assumed was good.
Thanks for your responses.

Collapse -
G5 Start up problems & Solution
by nebom / December 12, 2009 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: G5 working

OK.It is HARD DRIVE problem. I replaced it and 'it's all good'. Be sure to connect drive to the same start up connection/bay.

... now how to get out those unsaved files .. it is another story ....

Collapse -
by imamacman22 / December 16, 2009 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: G5 working

I've seen these symptoms with bad memory before so that makes sense.

Collapse -
Logic board Reflow
by MacRuud / December 21, 2009 1:40 AM PST

My G5 had the same problem, only after showing the grey apple logo the status wheel stopped spinning. After 4 years and a couple of months with no problem at all my mac suddenly stopped working. Restarting the Mac failed with the grey screen as mentioned above. After doing the usual to check if it was a software or a hardware problem I found useful information in the links below.

The problem may be caused by fractures in the solder joints between the powerpc processor and the logic board. This may be a design flaw in the otherwise great machines Apple produces. What is needed is a "reflow" of the logic board. Contact J

Collapse -
only apple logo on start up.
by david blacks / July 6, 2010 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Logic board Reflow

Just got this Imac g5,with no mouse and no keyboard,upon start up all i get is a apple logo that's it !!!!!
What can possible be my problem?

Collapse -
Corrupt system folder,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 10:08 PM PDT

Defective hard drive,
no system installed on the drive.
Blown capacitors

Does it boot from the OS X installation disks? (The ones you didn't get with the G5)

Collapse -
only apple logo upon start up
by david blacks / July 7, 2010 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Corrupt system folder,

I brought it to a nearby mac dealer and ran some test.
There is an apparent os there but it won't go any further,sugessting there might be a logicboard isssue.(Am i making any sence). I'm very new to mac (l.o.l)

Collapse -
(NT) Does it boot from a CD/DVD?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 7, 2010 11:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
thks for the responce
by david blacks / July 7, 2010 3:52 PM PDT

I didn't have a cd or dvd, and the mac store i went to said they only have the newer version,I should try to download one from the net.

Collapse -
Not available for download,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 7, 2010 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: thks for the responce

That Apple store is not telling the whole truth there.

Their Certified Techs have access to the Mac OS from shortly after conception right up to present day.

For them not to have a copy of 10.4 is ridiculous.

Collapse -
found out the problem
by david blacks / July 8, 2010 4:18 AM PDT

There was 1 bad cap under the power supply(fixed it) but still can't get pass the grey screen.It' needs logic board and also a operating disc. Where can i get either or both of these items?

Collapse -
The iMac G5 was notorious for its faulty capacitors,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 8, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: found out the problem

and if you found one on the power supply, then I will guarantee that the ones on the logic board are going too.

You will find logic boards on ebay, be aware that they will mostly be in the same state as yours, and you will also find OS X 10.4 there too.

Beware of the "Generic" OS X 10.4 disks, the grey ones, you need the Black ones with the X on them.

Amazon has them too. As they are no longer sold by Apple, they tend to be expensive

Collapse -
G5 dual - no other problem. It IS a leak issue
by nikonfotomatt / December 13, 2010 3:02 AM PST

This is a really old posting, but not a single person referred to the issue of the G5 dual problems.

In a nutshell, do a search for "g5 dual liquid-cooled leak" or similar. You will learn that almost ALL of the G5 dual models produced suffered liquid-cooled leaks. This leak of a radiator-type fluid (toxic) would, in turn, fry the mother board. Leading up to this would be inexplicable behavior including what seemed like software issues, locking up and, you guessed it, screaming fans.

There are a total of 6 fans in these models, so when the motherboard was glitching and running them all, it does sound like a jet!

Anyone experiencing this issue (even now...2010) should contact apple support and immediately ask for a supervisor. This was a massive problem involving a multitude of macs; one which apple successfully "handled" on a case-by-case basis, thereby avoiding a massive recall.

Collapse -
Um, actually
by Jimmy Greystone / December 13, 2010 10:05 AM PST

Um, actually, the very first reply in this thread mentions the possibility of a liquid cooling system leak.

Collapse -
You will note that nikonfotomatt
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Um, actually

has been dragging up every G5 problem they could find and posting exactly the same reply to all of them.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / December 13, 2010 9:59 PM PST

Yes, I did note they did that on at least one other thread.

And funny thing is, I looked up Apple's current and expired extended repair programs, and don't find anything for the PowerMac G5. I see at least two expired programs for the iMac G5 involving the PSU and logic board, nothing on the PowerMac.

Seems to me that the problem probably wasn't as widespread as nikon would like to think it was. They even have a program for the cracking/splintering of the top cases on older MacBooks. You'd think a leaking liquid cooling unit would certainly qualify. And those system have to be nearing the Vintage stage by now, if they haven't already passed beyond the veil, so the odds of getting them fixed today is slim to none. You take it to an Apple store, they're probably going to claim they aren't trained on systems that old, the lazy little punks, and an AASP will charge you for it because there's no extended repair program to cover their expenses.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Yes
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?