Speakeasy forum

General discussion

by James Denison / December 7, 2006 12:06 AM PST

Check current CBS for sure and probably other news. President speaking. Word is it's about beginning of withdrawals.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ON NOW! IRAQ WITHDRAWAL TO BEGIN, TURN ON TV'S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ON NOW! IRAQ WITHDRAWAL TO BEGIN, TURN ON TV'S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure isn't sounding like withdrawal to me.
by James Denison / December 7, 2006 12:32 AM PST

When CBS started off before the press conference which included Tony Blair
they gave the impression Bush was going to announce a scale down of activities
in Iraq. Seems instead Blair and Bush are reiterating their stand and reaffirming
their commitment to remain involved.

Collapse -
(NT) good
by Mark5019 / December 7, 2006 12:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Right now....
by Angeline Booher / December 7, 2006 12:55 AM PST

..... CNN is covering the Pres.Bush/PM Blair news conference.

So far, I get no sense that a change is policy is being considered.

I do understand that PM Blair, who is not running for reelection, already has announced the British troops will be withdrawn.

So far, PM Blair has indicated he supports talks with Iran. Pres.Bush again said he does not until they give up their nuclear bomb program.

They both appear to favor a separate Palesinian state to reassure the safety of Israel.

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email

Collapse -
Less than expected
by James Denison / December 7, 2006 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Right now....

Certainly not what CBS seemed to be indicating before the event. Seemed
to be more of Blair giving the thumbs up for Bush while pulling troops out
in the background. Bush seemed as stubborn as ever on not declaring victory
and leaving.

Collapse -
(NT) ..."disappointed with the slowness of success."
by Angeline Booher / December 7, 2006 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Less than expected
Collapse -
News was expecting something more along lines of recent....
by James Denison / December 7, 2006 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Right now....

" the Iraq Study Group's report is not simply that it provides a blueprint for U.S. forces withdrawing from Iraq. The commission's recommendations ? which were finally made public Wednesday after much anticipation ? in effect call for a sweeping overhaul of George Bush's foreign and defense policies during the remaining two years he has in office.

Press leaks before the release of the report tended to focus on two of the study group's recommendations: a phased withdrawal of American soldiers and increased diplomatic contacts with Iran and Iraq"

Obviously Bush surprised them all by not paying much attention to the study. I'd say his
appearance today was to make that quite clear before speculation of a change
became bigger, and thereby larger disappointment as hope grew based on that

Collapse -
He should...
by EdH / December 7, 2006 1:46 AM PST

pay lip service to the report but ignore its idiotic recommendations.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?