Computer Help forum

General discussion

On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

My computer came with a "built in partition". It's called "D". My problem is that I have 1350 fonts on my "C" drive. The latest software I installed on "C"
won't download the fonts that came with it; no more font space? So can I run this software from "D". I don't know if the drive is primary or extended, and it was not set up with "Partition Magic" or any other partioning software. HELP! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

In reply to: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

Yes. Provided the d: drive is formatted you can put files on it, including executables. There are people who use the c: for system software only, and d: to install their applications.
You can even run programs from drives located on a networked computer, provided all needed dll'a are either in the folder they reside in, or in your own windows\system-folder.

No. Fonts are installed in c:\windows\fonts. It could well be you reached a maximum there, so you would have to uninstall some fonts before installing new ones. It might help to quote the exact error message to get more help on the subject. Or look it up on google yourself.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
number of fonts

In reply to: Re: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

so there IS a limit on number of fonts (see my posting)???
What about just increasing font cache???

Peter

Collapse -
Caution

In reply to: Re: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

Kee's,

No disagreement on post.

But, frostyplan, DO NOT Loose the current files on D:\drive. If this system is an HP/Compaq w/two partitions the second (D) partition is the system recovery. Recovery CD's can be ordered if HP/Compaq has them on hand. Win98 is getting slim to none and I am not sure about ME.

Bill

Collapse -
not quite clear of your problem but

In reply to: On ME With "D" Drive - Can I Run Application From "D"?

i take it your operating system is on "D" and your graphics software package is on "C". And that when you tried to install the software you were told "no more font space"????
I am going to check to see if there is a limit on number/size of fonts and get back to you.
In the mean time you could try and manually copy the fonts from your CD (if that was your instalation sourse) and copy them to "\windows\fonts" folder.
peter

Collapse -
Reply to: not quite clear ... can I run apps out of "D"

In reply to: not quite clear of your problem but

Hi.

Well, thanks for writing . . . yes, I have a lot of stuff on my computer. I think my biggest problem is I'm running graphics, music, and word processing applications all from the same drive. As for my 1350 fonts, they all get along well - and I need them because I design custom t-shirts, and I get reorders and have to keep a big font file.

But now, I have purchased "sheet music software", and it has loaded oK, except for the fonts. When I run the program, the error message says, "Miestro font not installed on your system. You must install it from the disk". I've tried doing a custom install, where I would just select the font file . . . that didn't work. Of course I've removed the program and tried to reinstall it a couple of times. Still no luck.

I have this same problem in another music software: Cakewalk. It says it can't display the sheet music because the font wasn't installed.

I heard you can "hide" your fonts in like a "Fonts-2" folder. I've tried this, but many of the fonts CAN'T BE CUT OUT of the main "Fonts" folder; it says "they're in use and can't be moved".

Finally, all my programs and operating system is on "C". But the computer came with a "D" drive. I've stored data on "D", but I've never tried to install and run a program from it. I just thought that if the programs couldn't "see" each other, I could keep and run everything separately.

Somebody said I could do it if "D" was "formatted". But I don't know how to check that???

Thanks again . . .

PS . . . I have an Athlon 750; 20 gig HD; 768 RAM; Windows ME

Collapse -
The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

In reply to: Reply to: not quite clear ... can I run apps out of "D"

With 1000+ fonts, it's likely you are running into one of some 4 64,000 byte system limits. In DOS Windows, the limit was never removed.

Microsoft couldn't fix it, and neither can I.

You'll need to read the Memory article at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm and then decide how you will continue to use this old OS.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

In reply to: The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

OK! So does this mean that if I change my OS to XP, the problem will go away?
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

In reply to: Re: The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

NT (which I can't suggest), Windows 2000, XP and 2003 do not have this limit.

There is no need for you to change IF you can keep the font list down a bit. If you can find such, a font manager would be a grand idea. Sadly, with XP being the OS that comes on machines for years, such management tools faded since the reason was because of the 64,000 byte limits in a registry key or elsewhere in the OS.

Your choice on the matter.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks for that Bob, you saved me a search

In reply to: Re: The 64 thousand byte silicon wall.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.