Computer Help forum

General discussion

On-Line storage of files

by ravithatte / January 27, 2008 11:09 AM PST

I have just recovered from a back-up hard disk crash. Unfortunately, I was using this hard disk as the primary and only storage of my music collection...apart from the iPod.

What is your experience with online storage? With improving upload speeds and continuously declining cost of storage media, it cannot be all that expensive.

My requirement would be:
About 500 GB of storage space
Guaranteed Privacy and Confidentiality
Speed - updating the earlier back up only for the changes
No compromise on quality of data (not reduced pixels or music quality to save on storage space)
Not too expensive - not more than $200 per year.

The facility should take away the pain of back-ups and automate them for the Common Being. (and the British Government that recently lost a lot of data!)

Would love your feedback.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On-Line storage of files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On-Line storage of files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use Carbonite
by lea724 / February 1, 2008 8:20 AM PST

I use Carbonite ( http://carbonite.com/ ), which I've been happy with. It's about $50 a year and they claim to allow unlimited backup. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was that the initial backup took a while, but after that, it's constantly monitoring what needs to be backed up, and it's pretty quick about doing its thing in the background. I haven't had my computer crash since I've started using it, so I don't actually know how well it does in terms of retrieving the information after a crash, but I have moved computers and it was simple to switch the account to the new laptop. Also, they're very customer-friendly, which is a plus.

As an aside (no pressure, I promise), if you want to try their free trial and you don't mind using me as a referral (we would each get free extra months if you then decide to sign up after the trial) and sending me your e-mail address, I could send you the referral link. But, like I said, no pressure.

Hope you find a backup service you like!

Collapse -
Thanks, I will take a look
by ravithatte / February 1, 2008 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: I use Carbonite

I like what they say at their website, except that they don't do Macs, which is where I will be going in about a month from now. So I am not sure whether I can really use it as a long term measure.

They also say that it works ideally so long as the data size is not more than a dozen GB's - mine would be at least 300 GB.

So there are a lot of open questions, I guess.

Do send your referral code to tonginchic72@hotmail.com if I decide to go for it.

Ravi

Collapse -
article regarding online storage
by gadgetlover71 / February 1, 2008 10:12 AM PST

actually, this is about online backups, but I hope that it will be helpful to you.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,118454/article.html

I used mediamax for a while; gave up for a while but might go back to give them a second try (www.mediamax.com).

Also, here's a link for online storage search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=online+backup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

at the bottom of the page there's a link for online storage comparison...again, hope this helps you out!

Collapse -
though its safe...the speed is...
by soccerzeus / February 1, 2008 5:18 PM PST

Though online storage is safe in the SKYMEDI 1gb storage from Microsoft u need a live ID. its speed in a DSL-256 is like about 2 minutes for a 9 MB wmp video file...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.