HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

on-line storage

by gregblankenship / December 4, 2008 2:48 AM PST

I recently purchased a seagate external drive and found out that it no longer supports on-line storage. I know there are tons of sites that offer on-line storage but I do not know which one to use. Can anyone offer any advise?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: on-line storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: on-line storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
QDrive.net
by qrpike / December 9, 2008 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: on-line storage

A Free solution is QDrive.net

1GB Free Storage
SSL Encryption
999mb File Size Uploads
Email files to anyone
Link files, Put files on your website
Easy to use interface

They also offer paid storage which you get much more storage space, but 1GB is a pretty large amount. I like it because of the SSL-256bit Encryption standard, most sites charge for that =/

Collapse -
live sync
by pbjtime00 / December 9, 2008 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: QDrive.net

I use syncplicity. MS is coming out with a new service, based on "Foldershare", called "Windows Live Sync". It'll be out soon. Here's the email I got about it:

We're contacting you to let you know what's next for FolderShare, and to make you aware of some important changes.

In December, we plan to announce a product called Windows Live Sync. You can think of it as FolderShare 2.0. It's going to look familiar and offer the same great features, plus:

* More folders and files?sync up to 20 folders with 20,000 files each.
* Integration with Windows Live ID?no more extra sign-in stuff to remember.
* Integration with the Recycle Bin?no more separate Trash folder to fiddle with.
* Unicode support?sync files in other languages.

A huge part of Sync's success story depends on FolderShare users like you. When Sync releases, FolderShare goes into retirement. That means your FolderShare software will stop working and will ask you to upgrade to Sync. Once you do, Sync will automatically rebuild your personal folders. We expect a lot of new users when Sync is released, so if you can't sign in right away, please give it a little time.

Here's the part you need to pay attention to: Sync will not be able to rebuild your shared libraries. If you have a lot of shared libraries, you should hop over to the FolderShare website while it's still available and copy all that information. You'll need it to rebuild your shared libraries in Sync.

Thanks for being a FolderShare user! We're excited about delivering an even better file-synchronization experience to customers like you. We hope you'll come along as we move forward with Windows Live Sync.

Sincerely,

The Windows Live Sync (formerly FolderShare) team

Collapse -
Foldershare transformed into a user wasteland by Microsoft
by walterjadamson / December 27, 2008 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: live sync

Foldershare was a simple program which I used for years and it worked. The "enhanced" LIVE SYNC is a mangled overloaded nightmare which has wasted days of people's time including mine just trying to get it to connect. Don't believe me, go over to the official team blog and you'll be hard-pushed to find a positive comment http://foldershareteam.spaces.live.com/blog/

Far better to pay for something that works than frustrate the heck out of yourself and risk losing your files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.