TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

On line sales issues...

by sirroundsound / September 15, 2006 9:26 AM PDT

There was a thread here a few days ago with a number of comments about buying on line, good, and bad.
Overall there are things that can be bought on line safely and others may seem like a great deal, but you could be buying from unathorized dealers.
Here is an article about what one company did...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On line sales issues...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On line sales issues...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good for Klipsch - Maybe
by NM_Bill / September 15, 2006 12:28 PM PDT

Keeping exclusive dealers is good for maintaining the mark-up. I wouldn't know how Klipsch is, onerous or otherwise, with it's dealer contracts.

The old quandry continues. From Whole Earth Catalog days some said gather info from servicing dealers then sneak away to buy from discounters. The golden days of retailing are long over. Did small merchants tick you off with their weaker points? Oh well, the public has spoken - we all know where America shops (Wally-World.)

Is online adequately filling in for information. Then again, what degree of problem is it for you when you need service.

My last couple major A/V purchases were happily from a good independent dealer for about 8% over online prices. Real service from someone already a survivor of the big boxes. Worthwhile? - hell yes.

Collapse -
Sirroundsound, Where and How.....
by RoadRunner6 / September 15, 2006 6:42 PM PDT

....did these bad, bad unauthorized dealers get their hands on the Klipsch products in the first place? Maybe Klipsch should be suing the dealers who slipped them out the back door if you know what I mean. These products just didn't show up at the bad dealers place by mistake.

Collapse -
Of course not...
by sirroundsound / September 16, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

It all starts somewhere.
There are poor dealers out there, that will knowingly sell or tranship product where they are not supposed to. Some just see dollar signs, and even though in the back of their minds they may suspect something, go ahead and make a deal anyway. Others are partnered with or also own on line companies that may not have been discussed with the manufacture while signing on to be dealers. It also would not suprise me to find out that there are actual knock off's being produced and sold on line. If you are willing to place a large enough order, you can have just about anything made in China.
The point is that although buying on line can be a great way to save, many manufactures actually do care enough about their products that they do whats needed to control the distribution, as they should.

If you buy electronics from "Bob's av on line" and have a problem, and decide to call the manufacture about service. For warrantee they will need your sales recipt. Hmmm, Bob's on line isn't listed here. Now they have 2 issues. One, they hopefully will still want to look after you, it is still their product and they should stand behind it.
Two, they don't know where the product has been, somewhere it got shipped to a ligit dealer, and from their who knows how many hands have touched it. Or how much it could have been used (or abused)even fixed once already, before you bought it. I know plenty of people that can re pack a box, and a buyer would never have known it was ever opened.
So even though you may have only used it for a short while, there could be 100's of hours already on it, or it could have been purchased from a salvage of some place that had been flooded, dried out, quickly tested, re packed and sold to you. The fact is, if Bob's not an authorized seller, you have no way of knowing what you really are getting, or where it came from.
Just some things to concider...

Collapse -
You Missed My Point
by RoadRunner6 / September 16, 2006 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Of course not...

We all know the product is a legitimate piece of Denon equipment, factory sealed just like the one at Magnolia.

Your comments about the China fake and how Denon products might have been abused before it got to the buyer are online dealer bashing scare tactics. These are factory sealed products, they just got redirected to a non-authorized dealer. Denon by looking at the serial number is well aware of the original soucre of the order from the factory.

The point I was trying to make is why only go after the non-authorized dealer? Why not sue and stop selling to the dealers that are redirecting the Denon products out their back door.

This in reality is price fixing. Something we complain daily about when it comes to the oil industry.

In my opinion, those in the business would do much more good for fellow dealers and pro installers if they would concentrate on presenting the virtues of buying from local authorized businesses than the continual flow of horror stories and misinformation about the risks of online buying.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?