TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

On-line purchase of a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV ???

by mcoleky / December 7, 2006 3:54 AM PST

I want to buy the Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV TH-50PX600U. I've researched the various types of HDTV sets for much too long. I've finally decided to get the plasma noted above.

I can only find it online. I honestly don't know if I will use PIP or the PC connection offered in the 600U. However, the cost of the Panasonic 50" 600U is only a bit more than the cost of the Panasonic 60U.

Bottom line, is it relatively safe to buy such items online? My past online experience is limited to books, DVD's, and so on.

How can I determine which of the online sources is trustworthy?

Is the inhome service contract more important when ordering such items online? I'm probably the only individual in this state who doesn't own a truck. And the 50" definitely won't fit in our car trunk.

I'm about at the point of throwing a dart at a wall to determine if I should get the 60U locally or order the 600U online.

Please, please advise. I'm a low tech person who is very confused and frustrated.

Thanking you in advance, rlc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On-line purchase of a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On-line purchase of a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 3:58 AM PST
Collapse -
B&H Photo
by mhschmie / December 7, 2006 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Links.

I bought a 42 Panny from B&H photo in November. It was delivered in two days; very happy with the TV and service. Who ever you decide to go with, check them out on Good Luck.

Collapse -
by Psych Doc / December 7, 2006 4:16 AM PST

Just stick with relaible vendors. Among the very best are, B&, J& and

No matter what, NEVER, EVER use a place located in NYC and especially Brooklyn. When you click the "contack us" tab and you see a (718) area code and no physical address at which they're doing business, head for the hills.

As long as you stick with one of the better places, you'll have no trouble and save sales taxes and maybe even delivery. You are totally safe. Always use a credit card and NEVER, EVER send cash or a cash equivalent.

Collapse -
online buying
by gdunleary / December 7, 2006 5:28 AM PST

Check if they have what you want.I bought a Sony LCD HDTV from them in this past July and could not be happier!They deliver in 3-5 days many times no shipping charge and of course no tax!I have purchased many other items from them in the past and I think they are honest and reliable merchants.

Collapse -
50" Panny 600U
by NM_Bill / December 7, 2006 6:05 AM PST

Are you in a remote area or tiny town? Pannys aren't all too hard to find. If it seems like most all your neighbors have a pickup truck as a utility vehicle, why not ask one for the favor? Might even make a new friend. You should find out how user friendly it is to use that PIP. I have a Panny LCD where it's a couple of clicks, but also a Samsung incredibly non-user friendly that I don't bother.

Plasmas are fragile. Shipping problems happen. Twice, with items nowhere near as expensive I've received it damaged only to fight merchant, contract packer & shipper - all daring me to sue as they all pointed to each other. Are you prepared to use small claims court? Stores get shipments all the time. Like I said, I've been burnt.

Trustworthy? Use no online vendor until you can confirm positive customer feedback on one of these:, or By the way, among the best the aforementioned B&H Photo & J&R Music World are in NYC as well as many shysters in Brooklyn.

My recent expensive purchases have all been made locally. First recommendation goes to experienced audio/video sellers. They have already survived arrival of the big boxes. Yes, like anything else, there are bad lemons. If it smells bad, walk away with no hesitation. Thing is there are six places I'd use in this city of 1/2 million. I go with competitive price info inhand & bargain politely but firmly. Any honest independent can save you time & maybe money by dispelling things he senses you do not need or understand. Be upfront with needs & budget.

Even at the big boxes price tags are only scraps of paper, not chiseled in granite. Floor department sales managers can negotiate prices. Ask if they can price match the competition. And oh, I'd would go for the 60U without PIP. It's ONLY your money.

Collapse -
online Panasonic plasma purchase
by bevillan / December 7, 2006 6:14 AM PST

If you want an online retailer to trust, go with They are rated by Consumer Reports as the best online retailer for customer service by a long shot. I bought my Sony SXRD from them and I could have gotten it cheaper at a lesser known site but I got free shipping and the peace of mind that my order would go through without a hitch.

Crutchfield might have sales going on for their Panasonic plasmas for the holidays so check them out.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?