PC Hardware forum

General discussion

On board graphics disable automatically

by nescedral / January 25, 2006 11:00 AM PST

Hello. I recently decided to try to hook up two monitors to my Dell Dimension 5100C. I had been using my ATI Radeon x600 SE with one monitor, but the system also has integrated graphics on the motherboard. I thought I could simply hook up a second monitor to the integrated graphics VGA output, but it seems that my motherboard keeps the integrated graphics card disabled so long as my ATI card is connected to its PCI slot. I tried going into the BIOS to enable the onboard graphics, but it isn't an option; the only way I can enable it is by removing my ATI card. Does anyone know of a way to stop my on-board graphics card from being disabled automatically?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On board graphics disable automatically
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On board graphics disable automatically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably A BIOS Setting
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 9:28 PM PST

this is probably a BIOS setting. I don't know of a way to get around this. Most of the new graphics cards have 2 connectors on the back. The information I am finding on the Radeon X600 SE is saying it is a mobile chipset for laptops. You sure you have the right info? You can check in the device manager to see if you see 2 ATI Radeon video cards too. If there are 2 listed there, you can use both connectors on the card. There should be an adapter with the stuff that came with your card. Give us an update.

Collapse -
Here's what my BIOS says
by nescedral / January 26, 2006 4:27 AM PST

I have two options for video in my BIOS: 'auto' and 'PEG/On-board'. The former is described as using whatever PCIe graphics card is installed. The second says it will use the on-board graphics UNLESS there is a graphics card in the PCIe slot, in which case it will use that and disable the onboard graphics. I was hoping there be a simple 'On/Off' choice for the onboard graphics.

I don't know if there is a jumper. It had crossed my mind, but I haven't had the time to find out.

The deal with my graphics card is that my computer has a compact chasis and therefore requires a half-height PCIe card. My ATI card has two hookups, but they are DVI and S-video. The card does show up twice in the Device Manager, though, so thanks for that tip.

Collapse -
by CG-TG / January 26, 2006 9:38 AM PST

I think the PEG/On-Board is for a pass through cable. It was just bypassing the graphics card processing from the onboard to the video card. If I remember correctly, it would push all of the processing to an optional video card. You still only got one signal for a monitor. This system is too new though fir a connector from the board to the video card. I am a little puzzled by some of the information below though.

This is interesting - right from the cNet review of your computer:

The new Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics provides a step up from the older GMA 900 graphics core, but it still can't compete with today's dedicated 3D graphics cards. We didn't expect earth-shattering 3D performance from the 5100C and rightly so; it isn't geared toward gamers. A score of 66.2 frames per second on our Unreal Tournament 2003 tests means you'll be able to play some older games, but many of today's graphics-intensive 3D titles will bring this system to its knees. The system wouldn't run our Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 benchmarks, but for an extra $80, you can add a half-height version of ATI's 128MB Radeon X600 SE card. It won't help your 3D scores that much, but it will make the 5100C a stronger system for Photoshop and Media Center features in general.

It looks like this might share some system memory.

It looks like it has multiple displays. Unless the second display does not enable, and the third display would be the S-Video.

External Connections

15-pin D-shell (female) VGA output.
DVI-I output.
S-Video output.

* HYPERMEMORY? is the total of local and available shared system memory used by the GPU for the processing and creation of 3D and other images. Local on-board video memory is 128MB.

Collapse -
Here Is An Option
by CG-TG / January 26, 2006 9:46 AM PST
Collapse -
by nescedral / January 26, 2006 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Here Is An Option

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Collapse -
Have you contacted Dell ??
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 2:21 AM PST

Usually this is a BIOS feature that can be ENABLED or DISABLED. Since you indicate not finding that...perhaps there's a jumper on the MB ?

You are sure about having a separate PCI video card right ?

Collapse -
You need
by ASBaltazar / January 26, 2006 3:07 AM PST

a graphics card that supports dual monitors.

Collapse -
Can it be done with
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: You need

two co-existing cards (that support dual monitors)?

or must it be done with one card ???

Collapse -
My only available expansion slot
by nescedral / January 26, 2006 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Can it be done with

is a PCIe 1x, and at the moment I only know of one available graphics card that has been developed for it, by Matrox.

Collapse -
Replace it
by ASBaltazar / January 26, 2006 11:32 PM PST

You need to replace your current graphics card to one that supports dual monitors.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't see how you could.
by ASBaltazar / January 26, 2006 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Can it be done with
Collapse -
Hook a monitor to your USB.
by ASBaltazar / January 29, 2006 10:12 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?