Phones forum

General discussion

Omnia VS. LG Versa

by Th3KaNgSt3R / March 21, 2009 8:58 AM PDT

I'm going to get a phone soon from Verizon Wireless and I've narrowed the choices to the Samsung Omnia and the LG Versa. Which do you prefer? and why?
I also text alot. Is there anyway to text faster with the Omnia?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Omnia VS. LG Versa
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Omnia VS. LG Versa
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They're very different phones...
by WiredNot / March 22, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Omnia VS. LG Versa

Hi Th3KaNgSt3R,

You're comparing two very different phones. The Samsung Omnia is a Smartphone that runs the Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system. It is much more powerful than the LG Versa. The Omnia is designed to be a great PIM (personal information manager) and you'll be able to sync the PIM apps (like calendar and contacts) to a Windows PC. Plus, since it runs Windows Mobile, there will be many third-party applications for it. And, if web browsing is important, the Omnia will offer a much better browser that can handle flash sites and even pdf content.

The LG Versa is a Multimedia phone. It has many advanced features for a non-Smartphone but it is still a "dumb" phone. It is not designed to serve as a PIM nor sync well to applications on a computer. For example, its calendar won't let you store notes and the contacts list won't let you store addresses or notes. The Versa uses a proprietary Verizon/LG operating system which prevents the availability of third party applications. You'll have to select the apps available at Verizon and pay for them. The browser in the Versa is not nearly as good and won't let you view flash videos or pdf content.

So the first question to ask yourself is if you need a Smartphone with PIM features and advanced internet browser. If the answer is no, then you should check out both phones in person and test them. Pay careful attention to how each one works and decide which operating system and features you like most. Just because the Omnia has the potential to be a more powerful multi-purpose phone doesn't mean that it is implemented well. That's what you have to decide.

Finally, my understanding is that the Omnia uses a virtual keyboard via its touchscreen. The Versa offers both a vertual keyboard via the touchscreen and an attachable QWERTY keyboard. Some people claim that once you get used to the touchscreen keyboard that it is just as fast as a real one. Others hate touchscreen keyboards. It's a very personal choice. If I were in your shoes and I decided to go the Smarphone route AND a good QWERTY keyboard was important to me for texting, then I would choose the HTC Touch Pro instead. I'd probably also wait for the new HTC Touch Pro 2 which was recently announced.

Best regards, WiredNot

Collapse -
Samsung Omnia vs LG Versa
by greenhardinger / March 28, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
I just got the Versa...
by oldtdevil / July 16, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

I've had the Versa less than a week.
The good:
I like the keyboard and the touchscreen is vivid and comfortable to use. I prefer to use the stylus for some apps. Setting up the Navigator, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo IM and AIM were easy. Texting, phone calls, Facebook all work fine. The web is a little slow depending on where I am. The adjustable screen size makes the web experience fairly easy to use.

The bad:
No third party apps. Can't get Google Talk. And while I can find apps for other LG phones, not so with the Versa. Maybe it's just new or maybe the proprietary software means I'm stuck with what Verizon has to offer. So far I've only purchased Scrabble for $7.99 - it's ok but doesn't allow the use of the keyboard so I have to use the stylus on very small boxes. Dumb! I haven't found anything else on the Verizon site worth buying.

Collapse -
Omnia VS. LG Versa
by Hiperfon / August 1, 2009 7:39 AM PDT

Samsung Omnia it's cool!

Collapse -
abandon all hope with the Versa
by oldtdevil / August 2, 2009 3:35 AM PDT

So I've had the Versa for three weeks and my opinion has changed, oh quite a bit. The phone can't hold a charge to save it's life. You can't use third party apps. You can't turn off certain features that make it keep beeping at you and Verizon keeps trying the sneak in additional charges. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!
As of a few days ago, when you buy the Versa, they won't give you the fricki' keyboard. You have to buy that separately. It's the only reason to not buy the DARE. Verizon is a bunch of frickin' idiots. Damn them and their powerful network!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?