Question

Omen 15 rtx 2060 or Acer predator Helios 300 1660ti

Hello, thank you in advance for your help, I'm undecided between these two, both same price where I live specs:
Omen 15: i7-8750H, rtx 2060, 16 RAM, 15.6" 1920 x 1080 144hz g-sync, USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3
Acer: i7-9750H, 1660ti, 16 RAM, 17.3 1920 x 1080 144hz, no g-sync, no thunderbolt
Thank you for your input Happy

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Omen 15 rtx 2060 or Acer predator Helios 300 1660ti
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Omen 15 rtx 2060 or Acer predator Helios 300 1660ti
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My only problem with HP

Is HP. They walked on a warranty years ago so I can't write nice since then. HP never bothered to correct or answer why they screwed up so badly on a 3 month old laptop with an engineering failure.

About the GPU change. Both are very nice solutions. But very different laptops. Why isn't the screen size the same? 17 is nice for replacing desktops but horrible for students.

- Collapse -
Omen 15 not 17

Omen 17" is out of stock where I live, I've always been using a 23" monitor, how big of a difference is it between 17 and 15?

- Collapse -
For desktop use it's great.

As a desktop replacement the 17 inch models give you a decent size display and maybe a little better cooling system.

What has proven to be true are models over the usual 15.6 inches are not so great for those that travel or students.

- Collapse -
My current workhorse laptops are:

1. The Acer 17 inch Predator. Some i7, 16GB RAM, 1060 GPU, etc.
Bought it November 2017. No problems at all.

2. Some HP 14 inch ProBook. 8GB RAM, A10 CPU, SSD.
This is my travel notebook which I got for about 239USD on Groupon.
It came with HDD but I changed because... SSD. I travel with a cheap just case of theft or loss. It's more than enough laptop for travel and showing off the company apps.

Note: Edited to correct HP spec.

Post was last edited on October 10, 2019 12:03 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Appreciation

Thank you for your input, my friend. I'll keep what you said in mind, I might get the Omen and buy a separate monitor since I only travel once every few months for a month or so. Hence the need for a laptop,

- Collapse -
I dug into the 2060 and found some game results.
- Collapse -
Thermals

Thank you, that really helped but I wonder if that combination of cpu and gpu in the omen would cause problems thermals-wise

Post was last edited on October 10, 2019 10:17 PM PDT

- Collapse -
That

That is where you see if Notebookcheck did a review on that model.

I only see a new laptop with thermal issues that were caused by the owner placing it on a soft surface or not using a passive cooler. All I've ever needed was to put a ruler under the rear feet to let the laptop breathe.

- Collapse -
Cooling pad, undervolting

I'm planning on purchasing a cooling pad with it, to elevate it and ventilate it better. And I might undervolt it if need be.

- Collapse -
Let me share what I use.

If I don't have a cooling pad then I use:

1. A ruler, book or something to elevate the rear feet a little.
2. A PASSIVE cooling pad. In fact that's all we use at the office and home. Cheap, effective.

3. Never had to undervolt. All current laptops seem great about this except that Razer. It seems to push the limits and will throttle quickly without a powered cooling pad (it has fans in the pad.)

- Collapse -
Works on Omen

And that suffice for heavy gaming load for the omen and acer?

- Collapse -
I was unclear.

We have no new HP gear here since they failed spectacularly to fix a 3 month old laptop. Turns out it was a BIOS bug and since HP buys the BIOS they were unable to correct the issue.

On top of that they killed the laptop in service when they replaced the motherboard with a bad motherboard.

That was at 3 months and over the next 6 months I called in, filled out web surveys from HP about "my experience" and at 9 months it was clear that HP was never going to make good. This was our last HP purchase since it was clear the new HP was less than a shadow of its former self.

To me, Fallout (any version) runs without overheating on the passive cooler without any undervolting so I'm cool with that. The laptops we have are from Asus (ROG models), Acer Predators and another Asus Vivobook (i7+1050 Ti).

- Collapse -
Ahh

Ahh, I understand. Thank you for sharing your experience with me

CNET Forums

Forum Info