Cameras forum

General discussion

Olympus Stylus 1010 - looking for good compact camera

I'm looking for a compact camera with image stabilization, good image quality & relative ease of use (I'm not a professional at all).

My Mom recently got the Olympus Stylus 1010. She likes it, but is unhappy with blurry images with close up shots. She even feels that the regular pics are slightly blurred. The other thing she dislikes is that the only way to take a picture is looking at the screen (no view finder thingee - whatever it's called - to look through). The problem is in high light, she can't see the screen & therefore can't see what she's taking a picture of.

I was going to get the Stylus 1010 until I heard the above. Does anyone have any info on the Olympus 1010?

And is there a different compact camera that might be better than the 1010? I'll be taking it to Africa next year.

Thanks so much,
Melissa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Olympus Stylus 1010 - looking for good compact camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Olympus Stylus 1010 - looking for good compact camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Cameras with Viewfinders

In reply to: Olympus Stylus 1010 - looking for good compact camera

Very few small cameras have optical viewfinders any more.
The camera makers have eliminated the viewfinders to reduce cost and permit using larger LCD screens.

The following cameras have viewfinders and image stabilization:

If you want an ultra compact camera, your choices are:
Canon SD770IS, SD850IS, SD890IS, SD950IS, SD1100IS
Sony W120, W130, W150, W170

If you want a compact camera, your choices are:
Canon A570IS, A590IS, A650IS, A720IS

The biggest cause of blurry pictures is camera movement when the shutter button is pressed.

To see if your Mom's camera really has a problem with blurry pictures here is a test.

Set the camera on the edge of a table and use the 10 second delayed shutter mode.

Press the shutter button and step away from the camera.
10 seconds later the camera will take the picture.
Examine the picture on your computer screen and see if it is sharp or not.

If it is sharp, your Mom is moving the camera while taking the pictures.

Watch her while she is taking a picture and see if you can spot if it is something she is doing.
Taking a picture in low light (without a flash) is a common cause because the camera must use a slow shutter speed.
You should not hand hold a camera when the shutter speed is slower than 1/60th of a second.

Collapse -
Olympus 1010

In reply to: Digital Cameras with Viewfinders

Thank you so much for this information. That makes sense about the small cameras eliminating the veiwfinder for use of a larger LCD screen.

Do you recommend the Olympus 1010, or would you recommend one of the other cameras you listed (leaving out the viewfinder problem).

Thanks also for the tip on how to test my Mom's camera for hand shake. I will give this a try when I see her next.

Melissa

Collapse -
Olympus 1010

In reply to: Olympus 1010

I have not seen a review of the Olympus 1010.
I did find a few discussions about the camera and there were no negative comments.
The 7X optical zoom certainly is a plus.

I did find some sample night photos from the 1010.
Whoever took the pictures must have used a tripod or rested the camera on a solid surface when taking the photos, because the shutter speeds was about 1 second to 3 seconds long.

Here is a link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=27865021

Collapse -
Olympus 1010

Wow. Those sample photos are awesome. I noticed they're low light and that's usually when my mom gets blurry images with her 1010. So the person must have used a tripod.

Sounds like the 1010 might be good for me despite the 2 flaws I've found (no viewfinder to look through - must hold camera up to see screen - which gives a problem in high light because you can't see the screen) and possible blurry images (but it looks like this is due to the image stabilizer being not the best so it could fit in the compact camera).

Thanks everyone!

Collapse -
Steer Clear of 1010 !

FWIW - I purchased a 1010 in June as a backup to my older but much loved Olympus 4MP camera. After having used it for over three months, I am very disappointed. The images are consistently dull and often blurry. Color saturation must always be increased with photoshop. I haven't been able to easily "store" my favorite settings like flash mode, ESP vs. spot meter mode and the like. When recording video, the start of every movie has an audio problem where it's very loud and scratchy.
Too many alternatives on the market to pick to this mediocre camera.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.